Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old November 19, 2008, 02:35   #11
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
The Corvid of Shadow shrieks for help... Harry playing O110u wants to know...
Does it just wake monsters in the area or the entire level?
I thought (in FAA) it hasted enemies too, but it didn't seem to that this time, and the description isn't specific on what shrieking does.
It wakes up monsters in the local area, but doesn't haste them. If Harry is at 1800' without free action, this is bad. And yes, this did happen - he survived that time, but died to paralysis shortly after.
Old November 19, 2008, 14:06   #12
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I noticed in one of my recent (now deceased) Harrys, that after a dive or two, I was only delivering 2 blows with my starting rapier. I wasn't slowed, or burdened, and even after dropping some stuff, I still only had 2 blows. All my equipment was ID'd, nothing was cursed, and only stat loss was 1 point of CON (15 instead of 16). I may have been wearing the Barbut of Wisdom, but I don't think that should matter.

I know that rapier usually deliver 3 blows, but I couldn't get it to do so this time. Info gathered from I)nspecting the weapon, not actual use. I ended up switching to a heavier 2 blow weapon. Does anybody have any idea what happened?
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2008, 14:26   #13
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I noticed in one of my recent (now deceased) Harrys, that after a dive or two, I was only delivering 2 blows with my starting rapier. I wasn't slowed, or burdened, and even after dropping some stuff, I still only had 2 blows. All my equipment was ID'd, nothing was cursed, and only stat loss was 1 point of CON (15 instead of 16). I may have been wearing the Barbut of Wisdom, but I don't think that should matter.

I know that rapier usually deliver 3 blows, but I couldn't get it to do so this time. Info gathered from I)nspecting the weapon, not actual use. I ended up switching to a heavier 2 blow weapon. Does anybody have any idea what happened?
Number of blows is only dependent on STR, DEX and weight of weapon. If none of that has changed then something very strange has happened...
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2008, 03:19   #14
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Stair-scum diving revisited

This is the last time I'm going to bitch about this... I promise.

Here's my proposed solution for stair scum diving, assuming that anyone agrees with me that it is a problem in the first place. And quite frankly, I wouldn't care either, if not for the competition ladder. Easy to understand, simple to implement and hard to argue with (hopefully). If you decide to continue down another level, then you don't get a stairway back up. In essence, dis-connected stairs, for that particular level, if you choose to descend the extra level. Choose whatever reality you'd like to accomplish this, 'you slide down a chute', 'you fall through a trap door', or simply 'the stairway collapses behind you'.

Alternatively, a stairway that you choose to take you down two levels, must then also take you up two levels. Something like 'This stairway continues upward for 100 feet. Are you sure (y/n)?'. If you would only like to ascend a single level, then you must find a different staircase.

If it's going to be left the way it is now, you might just as well turn it into an elevator and just have the player enter the dungeon level he'd like to arrive on.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2008, 05:54   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
the invariant here is that any time you go up stairs, the same stairs down will take you only 1 level.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2008, 06:25   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
This is the last time I'm going to bitch about this... I promise.
Sure

Quote:
Here's my proposed solution for stair scum diving, assuming that anyone agrees with me that it is a problem in the first place. And quite frankly, I wouldn't care either, if not for the competition ladder. Easy to understand, simple to implement and hard to argue with (hopefully). If you decide to continue down another level, then you don't get a stairway back up. In essence, dis-connected stairs, for that particular level, if you choose to descend the extra level. Choose whatever reality you'd like to accomplish this, 'you slide down a chute', 'you fall through a trap door', or simply 'the stairway collapses behind you'.
This is what I'm planning to do for FA. I'm thinking 'The stairway ends in a drop. Jump down?' Double upstairs will just be removed.
Old November 26, 2008, 08:20   #17
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
I like the NPP shafts myself. If I was a better coder I'd think about sneaking them into FA036
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2008, 08:51   #18
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I like the NPP shafts myself. If I was a better coder I'd think about sneaking them into FA036
Maybe you're right. I'll have a bit more of a think, then send you a patch at some point after my current Harry dies.