Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2020, 19:26   #1
Selkie
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: London
Posts: 219
Selkie is on a distinguished road
Level feelings questions

I know this is an old topic, but my style of play relies heavily on diving fast and level feelings are so important to my play.

1) Is there an order of level feelings? For example is "there might be something worthwhile" better than "good treasures".

2) If there is a unique on the level who is carrying a good drop, does this affect the level feeling?

3) it seems like a potion of experience (at least in the first 30 levels) always generates a "superb treasure" feeling. Are there any other non artifacts that can generate superb?

4) does the plural of treasure mean anything in the level feeling? So if it says good treasures, does it mean there is more than one? Or is it just the text
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2020, 19:38   #2
fph
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pisa / DL0
Posts: 970
fph is on a distinguished road
Which version are you playing? In the newer ones, there is a numeric indicator LF: in the bottom row that shows their numerical value (higher is better).
__________________
Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.
--
You read a scroll labeled 'lol gtfo' of Teleport Level.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2020, 19:46   #3
Selkie
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: London
Posts: 219
Selkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Which version are you playing? In the newer ones, there is a numeric indicator LF: in the bottom row that shows their numerical value (higher is better).
Sorry, I probably should have said... I'm playing 4.2.1. can you show me on a screenshot where I should be looking? What is the scale of the numbers?

Last edited by Selkie; November 12, 2020 at 19:54.
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2020, 19:50   #4
Sideways
Knight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 767
Sideways is on a distinguished road
The level feelings in modern V are indicated at the bottom left. They take the form LF:X-Y, where X is danger level on a scale of 1 to 9 (9 is highest) and Y is treasure level on a scale of 1 to 9 (9 is highest). Items carried by monsters do not affect level feelings (and level feelings do not affect items carried by monsters).
__________________
The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2020, 19:56   #5
Selkie
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: London
Posts: 219
Selkie is on a distinguished road
Thanks chaps, that's really helpful.

The good thing about Angband is there's always something new to discover.

Like the other day when I nearly killed a level 47 dwarf warrior by eating a scrap of flesh and ending up starving with 0 per cent hunger
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2020, 01:11   #6
DavidMedley
Knight
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 969
DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Such a dwarf thing to do!
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2020, 02:46   #7
mrfy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 267
mrfy is on a distinguished road
It's not just monster drops, but also chests that can generate good treasure with bad level feelings.

On a 2-1 level feeling at 300', found a chest. Upon opening, it released a Morning Star (Holy Avenger) (+8,+10) [+4] <+4>. Quite a find for my low level gnome mageling.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2020, 16:22   #8
whartung
Adept
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 100
whartung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
It's not just monster drops, but also chests that can generate good treasure with bad level feelings.

On a 2-1 level feeling at 300', found a chest. Upon opening, it released a Morning Star (Holy Avenger) (+8,+10) [+4] <+4>. Quite a find for my low level gnome mageling.
Well that's because the chest isn't anything, so it wouldn't trigger a feeling, and the item in the chest wasn't generated until you opened it. Same thing would happen if you killed a Kobold and it dropped the same thing.
whartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2020, 16:45   #9
Sphara
Swordsman
 
Sphara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 425
Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Well that's because the chest isn't anything, so it wouldn't trigger a feeling, and the item in the chest wasn't generated until you opened it. Same thing would happen if you killed a Kobold and it dropped the same thing.
I actually had a misconception with this issue for quite some time, and I remember how it started. There was one level that had treasure feeling 8 and I could not find any item indicating that number. Finally, one last little unexplored corridor had a chest and it produced a great randart ring. I, being naturally stupid, naturally assumed by one single event, that all chests are predetermined. There was just something I had missed.

On a side note, I do not know the formula of chest item generation. I (again) assume it's something like 1d3 good item. Because of this assumption and the fact chests being very often trapped, I never attempt to disarm Multiple Traps or other magically trapped chests even as a rogue. If I don't have Disarm Traps item/spell with me, I lug the chest to my home and let it sit there as long as I have one.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2020, 19:37   #10
Selkie
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: London
Posts: 219
Selkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
I actually had a misconception with this issue for quite some time, and I remember how it started. There was one level that had treasure feeling 8 and I could not find any item indicating that number. Finally, one last little unexplored corridor had a chest and it produced a great randart ring. I, being naturally stupid, naturally assumed by one single event, that all chests are predetermined. There was just something I had missed.

On a side note, I do not know the formula of chest item generation. I (again) assume it's something like 1d3 good item. Because of this assumption and the fact chests being very often trapped, I never attempt to disarm Multiple Traps or other magically trapped chests even as a rogue. If I don't have Disarm Traps item/spell with me, I lug the chest to my home and let it sit there as long as I have one.
Would opening a chest at town level have any impact on the contents of the chest compared to say opening it at dlvl50?
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Level Feelings Monkey Face Vanilla 48 November 16, 2015 21:43
Level feelings biini Vanilla 6 May 7, 2014 10:25
Level feelings not quite there Max Stats Vanilla 3 June 16, 2011 12:49
Level feelings again (to use at all?) Chud Vanilla 10 March 5, 2011 15:11
Level feelings curinor Variants 0 April 30, 2008 20:17


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.