Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old November 10, 2008, 10:40   #11
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Are there any objections to me doing my shopping and then taking a new savepoint to start from, so I don't have to repeat the same tasks every time?
No, but I'm with Seany.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:50   #12
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany C View Post
Working on the assumption that you'll pwn M and the competition on the first attempt, I wouldn't bother…
I've had rather more than that already... if I take the same starting route and recall, I get a superb level at 1500 each time. I've been determined to find out why it is superb, but keep running into problems with fire and water hounds in particular. Oh and uniques.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2008, 15:33   #13
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Man I did not even know there was such a thing as competitions, this looks like fun.

After a few tries I've realized that level 15 and dungeon level 30 is MUCH deeper than I usually am at that level. I think I'll start at the stairs.
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2008, 17:25   #14
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post
After a few tries I've realized that level 15 and dungeon level 30 is MUCH deeper than I usually am at that level. I think I'll start at the stairs.
In V, I've become used to diving straight down to statgain depth with HE warriors. The major limitations with that are 1. combat strength and 2. free action. In vanilla these limitations are fairly easily overcome: good damage is easily obtained with a light weapon getting enchanted up with scrolls that are available at the alchemist 50% of the time. And so long as you keep a staff of detect evil, you can avoid anything that might paralyze you.

So when I submitted the competition char, I figured the same principles would apply. To a large extent they do - you can avoid paralyzers fairly easily (although druids and the like seem to have a way of sneaking up on you that doesn't happen in vanilla).

Damage output is a different story. I find that powerdiving is only effective if you can safely kill enough monsters to keep your experience at a reasonable level. In V this means killing orcs, ogres, trolls, and young/baby dragons until you've chanced across some good equipment. In O I have trouble even with orcs in the current competition, meaning that as I dive I'm restricted only to snagas and cave orcs which really limits the drops and experience that would give you greater power. Enchanting to_dam also seems very ineffective.

In short, the solution seems to be to make one or several stair runs, hoping for a decent weapon (I've never been so happy to see a *thanc) before recalling to 1500'. Then again, I may be missing out on some combat subtleties, such as perhaps switching to a heavier weapon or launcher that may make such runs unnecessary. If one can kill frost trolls and weaker, I think one should be powerful enough to continue down.
Donald Jonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2008, 17:59   #15
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Sling is your friend. I've just assailed a slightly slow Death Watch Beetle and slain it via walking around a larger rock section and pelting it with shots and magic bolts. Gained CL 17 (from CL 16). Vortexes are easy. Flies. Low-level uniques. Lone weak orcs and all lone kobolds. Light and dark hounds are best.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2008, 19:53   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Jonker View Post
(I've never been so happy to see a *thanc)
..and once you have a better melee weapon, the 'thancs make brilliant throwing weapons for an assassin.

Quote:
Then again, I may be missing out on some combat subtleties, such as perhaps switching to a heavier weapon or launcher that may make such runs unnecessary.
I think you could survive, with recalling, but you would need luck. As for combat subtleties, the big one in O is to get a weapon with big dice, as the second + (to deadliness) is a percentage of dice damage, and criticals give extra dice.
Old November 11, 2008, 21:14   #17
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
..and once you have a better melee weapon, the 'thancs make brilliant throwing weapons for an assassin.
Why do you say that? Would they do more damage than an arrow from a well enchanted longbow?

A.
Old November 11, 2008, 21:18   #18
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
For a sleeping monster with a good critical roll, surely yes. Otherwise, it may depend (especially for branded arrows).
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2008, 21:32   #19
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Why do you say that? Would they do more damage than an arrow from a well enchanted longbow?
The 'thancs are 'well-balanced' weapons, this adds an extra multiplier to the damage done by throwing them.

My current FA char (Bignose on the FA ladder) has recently found Nimloth which is a well-balanced 1d7 spear - he can throw it for over 400 damage on average against undead. With a branded, well-balanced 1d11 Storm Hammer you can do over 600HP (I once found a 1d21 randart Storm Hammer which could do crazy damage when thrown).
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2008, 14:35   #20
starstealer
Scout

starstealer is on a distinguished road
So I'm new to the forums and to the competitions. Given that I've never beaten M before and never had even a successful level 45+ character (outside of cheating) - what's the line on me winning in a truncated timeframe with a variant I've never played before?

See you on the competition ladder... hopefully
starstealer is offline   Reply With Quote