Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There were some item generation changes in 1.1.0, which was after FA forked:
Code:
- Monsters with are native to shallower levels have an increased
  chance of dropping gold, even if they normally drop only items.
  [Similar to Sangband]
This is a rubbish change. I can see why it has been done, but it really penalises quick play, as you have to kill uniques in depth if you want them to drop anything! If you are desperately trying to keep pace with evariste then you are probably not meeting uniques until they are out of their depth and it is very annoying when they then drop gold.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2008, 13:53   #22
Seany C
Swordsman

Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
I don't know how difficult it would be to code - but if the problem is to avoid @s waiting until 4000' to kill Lafduf, Bullroarer, etc to get a better drop, a compromise solution might be to have the quality of drop for uniques bound to their native level only, rather than a compromise of native level and level found.
It would also provide nicer rewards for @s who kill uniques appearing at an unusually shallow level...
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2008, 14:28   #23
Psi
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany C View Post
- but if the problem is to avoid @s waiting until 4000' to kill Lafduf, Bullroarer, etc to get a better drop
I think the problem is actually orcs and trolls dropping stat potions etc when killed deep in the dungeon - the side effect of the 'solution' is that it also applies to uniques.
Old November 24, 2008, 18:18   #24
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
What's wrong with stat potions at 4000'? They are of little use that far anyway.
Old November 24, 2008, 19:58   #25
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I think the problem is actually orcs and trolls dropping stat potions etc when killed deep in the dungeon - the side effect of the 'solution' is that it also applies to uniques.
I'm inclined to think the solution is unnecessary, too, especially with the O generation scheme, where the chance of a level 20 or less monster appearing at level 30 is cut by 75%, and the chance of a level 10 monster is cut by another 75%. Shallow monsters found deep just don't seem like enough of an issue to bother about. I'm also not clear why the previous behaviour was even a problem.
Old November 25, 2008, 09:07   #26
Psi
Knight

The more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems. It seems it is probably best to hang around 70 where most monsters are native before going for Morgoth. Otherwise if you are at 98-99 then everything is out of its depth and will probably drop gold...
Old November 26, 2008, 14:08   #27
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Amnesia

Angamaite of Umbar (and his buddy, Sangahyando) cast amnesia... a lot (at lest in the few meetings I've had). If the effects of amnesia aren't cumulative, and I don't believe they are, then why cast it a second time after successfully casting once? Probably not an easy fix, but he did waste quite a few turns re-blanking my memory. Turns he couldn't afford to waste in what was a very close battle.

Optionally, and this may just be evil, make amnesia cumulative. First forget your map, then forget ID'd items, and here's the evil part, then forget item flavors, then forget your monster memory. I'd certainly run away after the second casting.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2008, 21:21   #28
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Angamaite of Umbar (and his buddy, Sangahyando) cast amnesia... a lot (at lest in the few meetings I've had). If the effects of amnesia aren't cumulative, and I don't believe they are, then why cast it a second time after successfully casting once? Probably not an easy fix, but he did waste quite a few turns re-blanking my memory. Turns he couldn't afford to waste in what was a very close battle.
Monsters tend to cast harassing spells (amnesia, confusion, paralysis) at the start of a battle; that way they can tell if you're susceptible and keep casting it if you are. The AI could potentially be improved there, but I think amnesia is really the only one where once you've succeeded once there's less point doing it again, so it would have to be a special case.

Quote:
Optionally, and this may just be evil, make amnesia cumulative. First forget your map, then forget ID'd items, and here's the evil part, then forget item flavors, then forget your monster memory. I'd certainly run away after the second casting.
Yes, that's evil all right. I've actually gone the other direction in FA, so you only forget the map; basically because I find the item-forgetting aspect of amnesia more of an irritating side effect than a gameplay effect. But then I also think that about a lot of ID related stuff.
Old November 28, 2008, 14:42   #29
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
The Staff of Earthquakes...it's one of those items that I usually just sell or drop without too much thought, but this game I've actually been trying to make good use of it because it's effects (scrambling the dungeon) are somewhat defensive.

It seems that my enemies are never injured by the earthquake. It that the way it works, or have I just been unlucky?
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2008, 15:41   #30
Psi
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
The Staff of Earthquakes...it's one of those items that I usually just sell or drop without too much thought, but this game I've actually been trying to make good use of it because it's effects (scrambling the dungeon) are somewhat defensive.

It seems that my enemies are never injured by the earthquake. It that the way it works, or have I just been unlucky?
Somewhat unlucky I guess. The enemy has to be in one of the changed squares to be injured IIRC.