Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2015, 17:22   #1
Pondlife
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 76
Pondlife is on a distinguished road
Lich brain smashing for 216 damage?

I'm playing 4.0.2 vanilla on Windows. Just getting my first real character going after a few false starts, and I've got a CL 32 Gnome Mage at 1800 feet.

I've just detected my first L around a corner, which is a normal Lich. The description says "It may cast spells intelligently which cause brain smashing (216)". I assume that means 216 HP damage, which would kill me as I've only got 185 HP max at the moment. I don't think there's any resistance against brain smashing except maybe a saving throw, so I don't think I can risk it.

I've not played Angband for about ten years, but I don't recall a normal Lich being quite that vicious. I seem to remember taking them on at this sort of level at a distance without too many problems.

Is a Lich supposed to be able to do 216 HP of unresistible damage?
__________________
Playing roguelikes on and off since 1984.
rogue, hack, moria, nethack, angband & zangband.
Pondlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015, 18:46   #2
Anomander
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Germany
Age: 23
Posts: 8
Anomander is on a distinguished road
In the monster_spell.txt file 12d15 is listed as the damage from brain smashing, which would be 180 at most. For this damage you will get a saving throw, but it can't get reduced by resistances.
There are additional 3+1d4 confusion, slow and paralyze dmg and 7+1d8 blind dmg. I don't know whether the respective protections/free action can prevent that dmg. So at most a lich can actually do 216 dmg, but that's incredibly unlikely.
Anomander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2015, 06:55   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomander View Post
In the monster_spell.txt file 12d15 is listed as the damage from brain smashing, which would be 180 at most. For this damage you will get a saving throw, but it can't get reduced by resistances.
There are additional 3+1d4 confusion, slow and paralyze dmg and 7+1d8 blind dmg. I don't know whether the respective protections/free action can prevent that dmg. So at most a lich can actually do 216 dmg, but that's incredibly unlikely.
This feels wrong. I can't say for certain if this has been the case but I have always thought that brain smash damage depends of monster depth like most of the high damaging spells.

12d15 is 96 average with pretty high probability to get about that though, so maybe max damage is just so rare (and I have played high-savingthrow chars) that I just haven't realized how high that max damage is.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2015, 07:05   #4
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,849
Estie is on a distinguished road
Normal liches are high priority targets early for many reasons, so they often dont survive the round. Which is, I guess, why you rarely get to see them doing high damage.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2015, 07:17   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Normal liches are high priority targets early for many reasons, so they often dont survive the round. Which is, I guess, why you rarely get to see them doing high damage.
Suck charges, reduce DEX. I agree that they get blasted to bits pretty fast. Or avoided if not able to kill them fast just because they are so annoying.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2015, 19:28   #6
Werbaer
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 153
Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
This feels wrong. I can't say for certain if this has been the case but I have always thought that brain smash damage depends of monster depth like most of the high damaging spells.
All cause wound type spells were (are) independent of the monster casting them (according to my 3.0.5 spoiler files created by source diving)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
12d15 is 96 average with pretty high probability to get about that though, so maybe max damage is just so rare (and I have played high-savingthrow chars) that I just haven't realized how high that max damage is.
Odds are 0.1% to get more than 140 damage.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to deal damage Angrist Vanilla 13 January 15, 2015 13:43
Damage bonuses that don't provide extra damage? Egavactip v4 2 May 27, 2012 01:51
Estimated damage fizzix v4 6 January 3, 2012 09:30
It did how much damage? Raggy Vanilla 27 June 26, 2011 21:12
Potion Damage Tregonsee Vanilla 9 April 28, 2011 01:39


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.