AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 6, 2020, 21:32   #11
sffp
Apprentice

sffp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
I haven't been hit hard enough to check, but do you lose levels? Or just XP?

I agree with others that XP loss is less important than stat loss, and Restore Life Levels is a reasonably common potion.

But it's no fun to waste all of the time in a vault being down on XP. All Restore Life does is reinforce how much of a waste of time it was (barring shiny objects, of course).
Ha - you can lose levels. If you lose enough wis/int from stat drain, you can lose spells. Something like "You have forgotten the spell "Earth Rising". You have forgotten the spell "Lightning Strike"

But honestly being in a vault isn't for the XP - it's for the loot....
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2020, 23:32   #12
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
I haven't been hit hard enough to check, but do you lose levels? Or just XP?

I agree with others that XP loss is less important than stat loss, and Restore Life Levels is a reasonably common potion.

But it's no fun to waste all of the time in a vault being down on XP. All Restore Life does is reinforce how much of a waste of time it was (barring shiny objects, of course).
You lose levels if you lose enough XP to cross the level threshold (in the wrong direction).
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2020, 00:42   #13
archolewa
Adept

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
You lose levels if you lose enough XP to cross the level threshold (in the wrong direction).
In earlier versions you could even exploit this if you had just leveled up to regain stat loss much sooner than normal. Get drained until you lose the level you just gained, then kill a few enemies. You quickly regain the lost level, and since you leveled up, you recover all your stats!

Don't think this works in the most recent version, which honestly makes me sad. I love it when games let you exploit bad things to your advantage.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2020, 01:27   #14
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Yes, you can lose levels if you cross over the threshold (and it can even be multiple levels if you get hit enough). The good news is that when you go back over the level threshold in the positive direction, your stats are restored just like when you leveled up initially.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2020, 21:56   #15
sffp
Apprentice

sffp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
In earlier versions you could even exploit this if you had just leveled up to regain stat loss much sooner than normal. Get drained until you lose the level you just gained, then kill a few enemies. You quickly regain the lost level, and since you leveled up, you recover all your stats!

Don't think this works in the most recent version, which honestly makes me sad. I love it when games let you exploit bad things to your advantage.

This still works in 4.2
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote