AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 1, 2020, 12:40   #11
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angdrim View Post
Why is there lava in town? I mean, if you can go DOWN to get to Angband, the town must be perched on the top of Thangorodrim, which was volcanic, so maybe that's the reason?
If I remember correctly, it was added also to showcase the new terrain type when it was added to the game. So that players do not see it for the first time in a deep vault.
I think that the long-term program is to make more extensive use of different terrain types in the dungeon, but there are lots of things on the developers' plate right now.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2020, 20:27   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Correct. It also was intended as simple decoration. It is encoded as 2+d3 lava streamers. In principle, you could extinguish them with dragon breath/cold ball wands.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2020, 03:08   #13
Ed_47569
Apprentice

Ed_47569 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ed_47569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angdrim View Post
Hello All,

I'm new here, but not new to Angband. I started playing in the mid/late 90s. The version I was playing was probably something around 2.7, although I don't actually remember the number. After playing on-and-off for about ten years, in 2005 or so I finally had a winning character (still playing the old version from the 90s). After that I stopped playing Angband.

It's still basically the same game that I remember, but there have been some pretty shocking changes. My first reaction is that it feels like Angband on amphetamines. Everything comes at you more quickly. You can dive faster and get better stuff earlier and more frequently. No more spending the first day or so of a new @ throwing iron spikes at white worm masses.

The net effect of the differences between 2.?.? and 4.2.0 is to make the game MUCH easier.

Thanks in advance. I'm glad to be back.
Welcome back, I started playing uMoria on the old Acorn Archimedes computers at my school in the 1990s, didn't even know about Angband until one of the older students tipped me off! First Angband version I played was 2.7.x but didn't win legitimately until 3.0.5. The game certainly became easier with version 3.0, which added new ego items and artefacts, plus beefed up many existing artefacts. Some of the most dangerous monsters like Dracolich / Dracolisk were moved from 2250' to 2750' and so on, in an attempt to stop scumming for certain resistances at 2000'. Speed items also became more common.

Probably the easiest versions were around 3.1 / 3.2, but since then balance has improved significantly. Version 4.2 onward has made the game significantly harder again, with a large reworking of the monster list. I find I lose many more characters now (mostly play warriors) than I did with 4.1.3 and earlier. The lower levels in particular are much harder than before.

All in all I would say the current game balance and improved UI has made it the most enjoyable since I started playing.
Ed_47569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2020, 06:31   #14
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
i remember in 2.something, doors where completely different - it took a lot of time to open one (a remnant of D&D's pick locks skill), mobs also took longer to open them, and you could spike the door shut, forcing mobs to have to either bash it, or find another way around.

I'm not really sure how the change happened, but back then, i welcomed it - it may have taken away some of the tactical depth, but opening doors by just walking up to them was sooooo much easier.

Also, puts the Destroy Doors scrolls into another perspective - there was a time when these things were actually useful!
Old September 5, 2020, 08:35   #15
Selkie
Scout

Selkie is on a distinguished road
I remember when there was a charisma stat and the only thing it affected was the cost of buying/selling in shops.

Half trolls had such low charisma that sometimes racist shop keepers wouldn't even let you through the door.

Not sure what version got rid of charisma, but Angband died that day /s
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2020, 15:40   #16
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Charisma, along with iron spikes were destroyed by the radical left in 3.5.0, racist shopkeepers went in 3.1.0beta
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2020, 20:19   #17
Angdrim
Rookie

Angdrim is on a distinguished road
Here's a quick summary of the major changes that I noticed:

- No CHR, no buying and selling. Angband was never a role-playing-heavy role playing game, but just giving equipment to stores kills the last vestiges of it.

- No more junk items. Used to be that the dungeon was full of filthy rags, broken swords, and kobold skeltons.

- The new ID system.

- Good stuff comes at you fast and in large quantities. (A single level with multiple stat potions, really?!?!)

- Items of different kinds stack on the floor. One necessary skill used to be luring uniques out into big rooms so that their drops wouldn't get destroyed.

- Staves/wands of the same kind now stack in your pack regardless of how many charges they have. It used to be that you'd use a wand, and then zap all your other wands of that kind in order to get them to stack in your pack again.

- The quiver.

- The shops now have infinite supplies of utility items. It used to be that if the store didn't have any Word of Recall scrolls you either used the stairs to get back into the dungeon or you made peace with town scumming.

- Lower experience requirements for most of the races. I won 2.x.x with a High Elf mage, and back then high elves took 2x as much experience as humans to level up. Other races also had large penalties.

- Changing/rebranding monsters. They used to be more generic fantasy, with less of a Tolkien focus.

- Don't have to press 's' to search all the time. Or open doors. (In theory you could jam doors with iron spikes, but this was never a really useful strategy.)

- Very powerful spells for non-casters. Paladins get heal, rangers get haste self and the thing that turns staves into arrows. My recent ironman win was with a rogue - once I learned teleport level the danger of the dungeon dropped considerably.

One of the cumulative effects of many of these changes is that it's much easier to manage your inventory now. You're not carrying around things to sell, you're not carrying around ?Identify, after the beginning of the game you're not carrying around equipment that you haven't yet identified, you can carry arrows without worrying about them eating up inventory space. Consequently you can now carry more useful items; instead of stashing
potions of restore life levels in your house you can keep them with you, you can swap equipment more easily, that sort of thing.

That you can find out how much damage/round a weapon does is also very useful. I'm pretty sure that in the old days you had to guestimate that.
Angdrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2020, 22:02   #18
Ed_47569
Apprentice

Ed_47569 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ed_47569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I remember when there was a charisma stat and the only thing it affected was the cost of buying/selling in shops.

Half trolls had such low charisma that sometimes racist shop keepers wouldn't even let you through the door.

Not sure what version got rid of charisma, but Angband died that day /s
When they took out broken sticks, canine skeletons, shards of pottery and broken daggers / swords, that was the end of Angband.

Being serious again, I would like to see player ghosts re-instated.
Ed_47569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2020, 23:14   #19
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_47569 View Post
Being serious again, I would like to see player ghosts re-instated.
Not out of the question...