Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: Do you think that overeating penalties should exist in Angband?
Yes, they should. 17 73.91%
No, they shouldn't. 3 13.04%
Not sure. 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17, 2020, 18:47   #1
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Overeating Poll

Do you think that overeating (i.e., a character suffering negative penalties of some sort such as loss of speed) should have a place in Angband or would you prefer that the notion of overeating simply be scrapped altogether?
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2020, 18:58   #2
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
I'm trying to understand the latest iteration of the mechanic before making a judgment.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2020, 19:02   #3
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
I like this system as it gives some 'sandbox' flavour.. when you have possibility to control your character more deeply, even in a bad (for char) way. Though in my variant hungery system is very different (overeating exists), so maybe in V there is also some way for improvement
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2020, 19:52   #4
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post
I like this system as it gives some 'sandbox' flavour.. when you have possibility to control your character more deeply, even in a bad (for char) way. Though in my variant hungery system is very different (overeating exists), so maybe in V there is also some way for improvement
There's no "control" when the two options are only: 1) no penalty and 2) penalty.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2020, 22:21   #5
malcontent
Scout

malcontent is on a distinguished road
Does it make sense that a character can suffer negative penalties from under eating? Seems like if you have one you should have the other.

I'm fine with both and I think it is fairly easy to navigate this game mechanic. I didn't realize until recently that being more full allows you to regenerate faster (I think I read that in one of the threads on this subject). That might motivate me to try to stay closer to 75-80% full moving forward.
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2020, 04:27   #6
misanthropope
Rookie

misanthropope is on a distinguished road
i can't understand why grocery stores sell milk in gallon jugs. who exactly can DRINK a GALLON of milk?
misanthropope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2020, 05:24   #7
Hounded
Apprentice

Hounded is on a distinguished road
It needs to if it's going to matter.

If food has no impact then what's the point of maintaining the hunger mechanic? It could just as easily be a "periodically use the bReathe command".

Maintenance without consequence is just makework and detracts from the game.

As it happens I do personally like the new mechanic. I appreciate that there's more to it than "1) Get Slow Digestion 2) Squelch food." which was the case before Nick started putting some meat back on it.
Old October 18, 2020, 07:37   #8
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Orfax son of Boldor taunts "come catch me fatty". Orfax son of Boldor moons you!

Anyway the latest version in master seems ok, with the penalty disapearing quite quickly.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2020, 11:05   #9
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
penalties yes; massive penalties (-10 Spd) no. i would say that -2 is plenty.
Old October 18, 2020, 13:01   #10
Raerick
Rookie

Raerick is on a distinguished road
I am a bit biased as I was a key proponent of the hunger system change, but I like it. I even like how staves of cure light wounds are more useful due to avoiding getting too full off of potions. I also think that potions being changed from filling you up to draining satiation would be undesirable and would once again make things like staves of cure light wounds pretty much useless again. On the contrary I think Mushrooms of Fast Recovery need buffed since 30HP (plus curing blind/stun/wounds/poison) with 5% filling is pretty awful. Those mushrooms aren't that common, take up an inventory slot, and are 5 times more filling than potions so I don't see why they can't heal more HP.

I don't think the system is anywhere near perfect, but it is on the right track. For example I kind of like the suggestion (and what I believe is being tested) of over 90% full dropping back to below 90% at a faster rate.
Raerick is offline   Reply With Quote