Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 10, 2020, 18:40   #21
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Had fun with this. Thanks to David Medley for your work, & Nick for the initial idea of a bad stealth berserker.

I'll hmm... go through the spell list? If you want something else, just ask.

spell:Seek Battle - a detect, self explanatory.
spell:Berserk Strength - works as a fear cure. Other then that I fell berserk needs work in general in vanilla. I always feel the downside in AC is worse then the +hit. Frogcompos has a more fun version.
spell:Leap into Battle - used it a fair bit up to warg form which has fast move. Still used it occasionally, between the 2 spells I could get up close to Qs and drujs and just smash
spell:Shatter Stone - dig spell. dig good.
spell:Whirlwind Attack - needs to work with bloodlust to be worth it.
spell:Grim Purpose - obviously good

spell:Maim Foe - good spell didn't use much after warg form, because can't cast when you are a warg
spell:Howl of the Damned - didn't use much. Probably strong though, seeing the wargs fear effect in action... It was Maia and great drakes at times.
spell:Relentless Taunting - ran this non stop. One of my 4 core spells in the end. Bloodlust, Taunt, Venom, Werewolf. Those were the 4 I just spammed in the endgame.
spell:Venom - another of my core. I used firestar for a while and it's actually a good weapon with a 2nd brand. Then I had Orome which is another fire brand. I think balrogs might be effected by poison?
spell:Werewolf Form - a woooh...

spell:Bloodlust - risked Morgoth with this. Actually I risked everything with this. Taresque, Pitfiends, the unique canines, Sauron. Not sensible, but it is damn brutal & maybe you can just get away with it. I certainly did.
spell:Unholy Reprieve - useful. especially considering bloodlust side effects.
spell:Forceful Blow - forgot this existed. I think I used it around the point I got it though?
spell:Quake - used it as a sight breaker in the Morgoth fight and as a pseudo heal. Its ok, but not wonderful
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2020, 19:17   #22
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this spell analysis, Wobbly. I haven't got all the books yet, and just started learning the 2nd book spells. Nice to have a heads-up on how they might be used.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2020, 22:07   #23
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
@wobbly
Excellent summary of blackguard spells, hard to disagree with it. I maybe used Maim Foe more than you, but it becomes pretty much useless after finding a wand of stun monster.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2020, 23:48   #24
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
You'd rather use a wand of stun monster? That's a problem, if you have a legitimate case.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2020, 02:27   #25
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
You'd rather use a wand of stun monster? That's a problem, if you have a legitimate case.
Maim Foe is a very good spell because stunning is really crippling on a monster. Also, for a blackguard getting Maim is guaranteed, whereas getting a wand of stunning isn't. It's just that the wand never misses and can be used at range that makes me prefer it, if I have it.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2020, 16:28   #26
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
@wobbly
Excellent summary of blackguard spells, hard to disagree with it. I maybe used Maim Foe more than you, but it becomes pretty much useless after finding a wand of stun monster.
I'm curious about this -- what exactly are the effects of stunning? I've never found stun monster all that useful, but maybe I'm using it wrong.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2020, 18:28   #27
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Monster's damage and hit probability are both reduced significantly. Monster has a noticeable chance to miss a turn. For the player, the result is a similar reduction in melee as well as a flat reduction in spell failure (15% failure rate added to all spells.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2020, 04:37   #28
archolewa
Adept

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Personally I prefer Maim Foe over the wand because it never runs out of charges, doesn't take a precious inventory slot, does a bit of damage and a bit of heating. Mostly for the saved inventory slot. An attack wand is nice to have instead since Blackguards have pretty weak shooting.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote