AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 18, 2014, 21:08   #81
Kilumanjaro
Rookie

Kilumanjaro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I think the problem with the store interface is we haven't found one that is satisfactory for everyone. If you have a specific UI implementation that you think is ideal, please post it. I'm not sure what Nick's feelings are on store UI, but I dislike it greatly.
Since you insist...
I'd like to see how it works for the items's letter to immediately bring up the (I)nspect screen, with options listed for "Buy one", "Buy all", and "Buy some" with a further prompt for qty. That way most transactions can be done in 2 or 3 keystrokes - equal to or better than current. Translates nicely to mouse interface too, for people like me that play one-handed. (gotta hold on to my drink, after all)
Kilumanjaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 22:12   #82
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I'm not sure what Nick's feelings are on store UI, but I dislike it greatly.
For functionality, I'm actually a fan of the old two-page one with the commands at the bottom - it's clear, and minimises keystrokes. That said, I don't really hate the current one either.

Something like the object knowledge screen might be nice.

I'd be interested to hear ideas.
Old May 19, 2014, 04:54   #83
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
For functionality, I'm actually a fan of the old two-page one with the commands at the bottom - it's clear, and minimises keystrokes.
I concur. Easy, clean, intuitive.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 04:57   #84
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Pagination also makes it simpler to increase the size of the house without breaking displays or running out of letters, and would simplify playing with fewer than 25 lines of display (does anyone want to do this? Maybe tiled mode on a handheld?). The only downside is an extra keystroke each time you enter a store to check the second half of its goods selection.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:26   #85
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Pagination also makes it simpler to increase the size of the house without breaking displays or running out of letters, and would simplify playing with fewer than 25 lines of display (does anyone want to do this? Maybe tiled mode on a handheld?). The only downside is an extra keystroke each time you enter a store to check the second half of its goods selection.
Currently stores very rarely go two page long. Home is where this matter more.

BTW I miss those occasional {90% off} discounts. Could we get those back, even if don't do anything else to stores. Stores are quite boring currently barring BM which has improved. Some added flavor there would not hurt, even if it is just flavor like pints of fine wine in general store.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 07:57   #86
Maddz
Rookie

Maddz is on a distinguished road
If you want to look at store UI, take a look at Hengband (1.6+ not the current untranslated 2.x). That's got the standard stores plus others and the multi-page house contents (which is the same in whatever town you are in). Standard store behaviour is the same as older variants.

It's also got variant stores - hence my comment upthread about adding things like a smithy to upgrade equipment.

Incidentally, if anyone can get the older version of Hengband working on Mountain Lion, please pm me as I'd like to continue with the game.
Maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 19:45   #87
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
For functionality, I'm actually a fan of the old two-page one with the commands at the bottom - it's clear, and minimises keystrokes. That said, I don't really hate the current one either.

Something like the object knowledge screen might be nice.

I'd be interested to hear ideas.
Clearly the best way to do stores is to stop having a separate UI entirely. When you walk onto a store tile, you can use 'I' to examine, 'g' to buy, etc. just like anywhere else. And you save a load of complexity and the need to have a totally separate UI mode.
Old May 20, 2014, 19:57   #88
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Clearly the best way to do stores is to stop having a separate UI entirely. When you walk onto a store tile, you can use 'I' to examine, 'g' to buy, etc. just like anywhere else. And you save a load of complexity and the need to have a totally separate UI mode.
So the store would just be (implementation-wise) a pile of items on the ground, with a few display hacks and modifying the player's money when they get/drop items?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 21:39   #89
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
So the store would just be (implementation-wise) a pile of items on the ground, with a few display hacks and modifying the player's money when they get/drop items?
imo just port nethack stores (Complete with Keystone Kops.)
Old May 20, 2014, 21:39   #90
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Nethack!
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote