Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2014, 03:41   #1
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 493
bron is on a distinguished road
Preservation Shield not Splendid?

I'm playing human warrior in 3.5.0, and I pseudo-id a shield as {ego}. I wield it, and it is further pseudo-id'ed as {excellent} (note: not {splendid}). I then Identify the shield, and find that it is a Shield of Preservation.

I really think this should be changed. I assume that if I'm squelching "excellent, but not splendid" shields, the shield would auto-squelch. I think a Preservation Shield certainly should count as Splendid. Perhaps they could be given something relatively harmless, like +1 Infravision or something, so they would pseudo-id as Splendid?
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 04:53   #2
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,023
Derakon is on a distinguished road
The problem here is really with the term "splendid", which implies "better than excellent"; really all it means is "has obvious bonuses". IMO the term "splendid" should be retired since the obvious bonuses are, well, obvious, and thus automatically ID when you equip the item. But unfortunately that "tier" of egos is also baked into the squelch system...

All of the ID process is due for a revamp sometime this decade anyway. Once we get rune-based ID this stuff should stop being an issue.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 07:03   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
All of the ID process is due for a revamp sometime this decade anyway. Once we get rune-based ID this stuff should stop being an issue.
With rune-based ID I think we need completely new squelch system too. Boolean combination game.

Seriously, I think much more detailed squelch is in order. Something that allows you to select resists that you want/don't need, weapons based on damage it does and so on. Aman cloak with light resist once you have Arkenstone is just Stealth cloak that ignores fire and acid. Same thing with Disenchantment and you want to keep it.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 08:34   #4
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 493
bron is on a distinguished road
I got nothing against these more grandiose schemes. But could we have a little hackish tweak now, and let the "real" fix be debated later (probably for years to come ) ?
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 10:31   #5
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
It took me forever to find out Shields of Preservation even existed, because by the time they were showing up in the game I was already auto-squelching {excellent} shields without bothering to ID them.

So I'm in favour of the suggested hack of giving higher level {excellent} egos like Permanence and Preservation some sort of tiny visible bonus like +1 infravision or stealth. I don't think that's too unbalancing, and it would save a lot of aggro when it comes to squelch and ID decisions.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 11:47   #6
PowerWyrm
Prophet
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,761
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
I never bother because usually when shields of preservation start to appear I already got Thorin
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 16:48   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
I never bother because usually when shields of preservation start to appear I already got Thorin
Thorin is now a lot rarer than it used to be. Or I'm having really bad luck finding it.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 17:28   #8
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,012
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
It took me forever to find out Shields of Preservation even existed, because by the time they were showing up in the game I was already auto-squelching {excellent} shields without bothering to ID them.

So I'm in favour of the suggested hack of giving higher level {excellent} egos like Permanence and Preservation some sort of tiny visible bonus like +1 infravision or stealth. I don't think that's too unbalancing, and it would save a lot of aggro when it comes to squelch and ID decisions.
Not a bad idea. One that's really easy to make as a change for yourself without any coding. I would suggest that anyone that's been annoyed by this, just make the appropriate changes in the edit file.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 19:37   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Not a bad idea. One that's really easy to make as a change for yourself without any coding. I would suggest that anyone that's been annoyed by this, just make the appropriate changes in the edit file.
Is {splendid} done that way in code level? Weapons with brands are splendid and those don't have any PVAL.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 20:44   #10
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,023
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Is {splendid} done that way in code level? Weapons with brands are splendid and those don't have any PVAL.
Branded weapons are obvious on-wield ("Your Scimitar spits acid!" or something), which is all that's needed to be splendid. Dunno why that was done for brands and not, say, armors with elemental resistances (I could imagine "You are surrounded by a cooling barrier!" for rFire, for example), which would in turn make those armors "splendid". But whatever.

This is part of why I think the excellent/splendid distinction is silly.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ver 3.5 Artifact bug - Wicker Shield of Elros Ingwe Ingweron Vanilla 8 March 15, 2014 19:24


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.