AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old May 24, 2017, 22:59   #41
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Balli Stonehand now, I assume. Was that the one with +3 con ? I think one axe had ESP, too, was it Hurin ?

He has 800 hp, +10 speed, res poison, pconf pblind but is bumbling about on lvl ~30. What is he missing to go deeper ? Permanent source of ESP ?
Yeah I think it's got stonehand right now. Just found Hurin though. I think it wants to be CL40 before it goes any deeper.

Re: the scrolling, I've noticed, and I intend to fix it, but I'm not entirely sure how - whether I'm going to need to adapt the curses frontend slightly to run properly in this context, or whether I'm going to have to adapt the JS terminal emulator to run properly.

My priorities for this thing now are features (chat/recorded games/links to character dumps/option to upload .prf files), then bugs. wrt bugs, first thing I'm going to do is try to hack together single keypress running/resting, then the bugs with spectating come next.

I will confess to having spent a large part of the day when I could have been coding/fixing things watching the borg instead, I've never run one before and it's fascinating.
Gwarl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017, 11:10   #42
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I've seen it say clvl < dlvl down the bottom, great way to never make it past dlvl 50. Watching Estie play for a bit was interesting. What was with the whole <, >, <, > thing? Level feelings or something else?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017, 11:21   #43
Gwarl
Swordsman

Well, the borg finally died:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=20784

I really thought she was going to make it.

Don't know what was going on with the sscreen really because of the scrolling issues.

I'm going to switch it off for a bit today while I work on things. Such as limiting the need for me to switch it off while I work on things. Hopefully I'll have it back up tonight with chatrooms.
Old May 25, 2017, 16:51   #44
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I've seen it say clvl < dlvl down the bottom, great way to never make it past dlvl 50. Watching Estie play for a bit was interesting. What was with the whole <, >, <, > thing? Level feelings or something else?
I didnt play much, mostly trying to get a comfortable interface (and failing). But yes, when there is no good item feeling I tend to use the stairs asap.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017, 16:53   #45
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The Borg has three flaws it makes frequently:
1. It does a bad job of controlling sight lines. It should keep the number of monsters in LOS to one or two. Instead it lets a whole hallway of monsters use ball spells/breaths/curses.
2. It does not treat stat drains with the respect they deserve.
3. It goes out of it's way to fight no-ROI monsters (like Greater Balrogs for example.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017, 17:36   #46
Estie
Veteran

I have once seen the Borg fight Faegwath with a sling of accuracy and magic shots (not on the server, some years ago). Needless to say that didnt go well.

The ROI status of monsters has dropped dramatically compared to older versions. There was a time where you could expect an artifact or 2 from killing a demon pit, but drop quality has been reduced (not sure when or by what measure exactly). This is most notable with D, but also U.

I believe it treats LOS situations okish, but doesnt take asleep monsters into the equation, so bad things happen when suddenly monsters wake up.
But it doesnt use simple standard routines like waiting around a corner for monsters to approach in single file. This most basic of LOS tricks would improve its performance greatly.
Old May 25, 2017, 18:33   #47
Gwarl
Swordsman

It's back up, but without any visible changes. Going to be experimenting a bit on a dummy copy.

Edit fixed the vertical scrolling issue afaict. css issue.

Last edited by Gwarl; May 25, 2017 at 20:04.
Old May 26, 2017, 04:30   #48
Estie
Veteran

I have (again) tried to get the Borg working on my computer, but Angband 3.4.1 crashes on startup (after character creation), and so does the Borg.

Can this be a 64 bit thing ?
Old May 26, 2017, 07:38   #49
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Hey, I watched borg a little - looks great!

Quote:
I might end up having to more or less write my own - at which point I may as well be writing an angband-specific frontend in javascript (which I plan on eventually doing).
If you decide to do it, I would be interested in doing the C part (or in helping you to do it, if you want to write C yourself... angband's ui is, um, kind of mindblowing )
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017, 13:05   #50
Gwarl
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4nk View Post
Hey, I watched borg a little - looks great!

If you decide to do it, I would be interested in doing the C part (or in helping you to do it, if you want to write C yourself... angband's ui is, um, kind of mindblowing )
I already wrote an interface for playing a roguelike with javascript, with mouse support, graphics and a few animations/special effects (my lightning bolts were rather pretty). It's fairly agnostic about how the game logic works in that while it does expect the associated game logic backend to send outputs in a certain format, one could specify another format and leave most functions unchanged.

If you could prepare a frontend with a given mapping of input strings/ints etc to game commands, and then serialize outputs in a sensible way (JSON is convenient but I wouldn't send visible/known terrain that way, probably an octal number), I could then do all the parsing and drawing to the screen with javascript. This could maybe even be still a pty? Like playing angband on a console, type in a code that describes the command you want to send to the game, console echoes serialized gibberish representing updates to known information. The client then still reads/writes to a pty running an angband process the way it's done at the moment, except the rendering is done in the client rather than through curses.

That would be pretty fantastic IMO, shall we discuss here or email?

Last edited by Gwarl; May 26, 2017 at 13:14.