AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 8, 2019, 07:53   #261
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
All that said, necromancer is a new class and likely to need tweaking; I don't want to discourage suggested improvements. I'm not altogether against the idea. I just feel that it goes some way to removing the intentional difficulties of the class, and risks losing its distinctiveness.
Understood, even though I still find it to be pretty bad. Low level necros have a pretty difficult survival to begin with. They basically have to choose to have crappy spell chances in all those lighted rooms, large caverns, and later, those vaults, or be hampered with extreme myopia that is pretty close to blindness. I've found the deadliness result to be pretty out of balance. Or maybe I just don't like being near-sighted.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019, 07:26   #262
DavidMedley
Adept

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
The black market will do it... for $15K. Under certain circumstances, this is a good deal.
Revisiting this... Just gave a TO wand to the black market. They'll let me buy it back for 10,500 AU... with 0 charges!! I'm not saying you *should* be able to recharge wands at black market - in fact, it seems anti-thematic - just curious why Pete Mack thought you could. Meanwhile, if anywhere should be able to recharge stuff it should be the Magic Shop. Wands of Annihilation are probably already OP, but on the plus side this would give you something to do with all your late-game cash.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019, 21:14   #263
Glorfindel
Scout

Glorfindel is on a distinguished road
Identifying potions and scrolls by value

I hope that this is the right thread for reporting a bug in this version of Angband; I'm still kind of new here and have not yet gotten into the groove.

Anyway, I am playing my first game of 4.2 to have selling enabled, and I have noticed that when I sell a shop an unidentified potion or scroll their offering price varies according to the value of the item. Thus they will offer 13 AU for a Scroll of Deep Descent, but 0 AU for a potion of poison. Naturally this enables one to tell if one has something good.

I think I have read about this bug before, for a different version of Angband. Has it resurfaced?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019, 23:17   #264
DavidMedley
Adept

Pretty sure it's intentional. I also prefer to play with selling on, but no_sell seems to have swept the community and town interactions are of little interest now.
Old November 14, 2019, 21:15   #265
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Negative stealth is shown on the resistance sheet on the character screen as + rather then -. Is this how it should be?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 20:08   #266
Glorfindel
Scout

Glorfindel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Pretty sure it's intentional. I also prefer to play with selling on, but no_sell seems to have swept the community and town interactions are of little interest now.
I don't know. If I remember correctly, it was treated as a bug that other time. As to playing with selling on, I agree, that is fun, and all my first games were that way, but I have been pretty happy recently playing with no_sell. They are right on the forums when they say it is quite freeing. On the other hand, you are right about its effect on how interesting the town is. I am playing with selling on again because I am playing a rogue, and it just seems wrong to play a rogue with selling disabled.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2019, 12:45   #267
DavidMedley
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
I am playing a rogue, and it just seems wrong to play a rogue with selling disabled.
haha yeah
Old November 25, 2019, 02:38   #268
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Hello, i've seen mentioned that recharge has been changed to backfire less often in 4.2.0 - does this mean that a simple recharge scroll can be used for a staff of the magi with a better chance?
I'm just seeing one in the black market and i'm not sure if it's worth spending all my money on it with a necro (I guess I won't have access to greater recharging. max mana is only 59 and I don't dare to go below dl 40 because missing rPoison already caused some trouble).
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote