Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 16, 2019, 03:08   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Seems like it's the Tap spell that's the issue, really. Or rather, Tap in conjunction with Recharge. But devices are massively less useful without Recharge; it seems to me that if you want a class to use devices at all then they need to be able to recharge them. So why do we have Tap?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 15:34   #12
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I don't think tap is the only thing broken, I think recharge was buffed into a broken state. Luckily it is the rogue's turn in the comp so we get to see.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2019, 20:33   #13
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I've always liked that mages can't just rely on spells for the entirety of the game.

So I guess, count me down for some kind of nerf to the tap/recharge mechanic, but please don't let mages solve all their problems by just flinging mana at them.
I actually DO LIKE if mages solve all their problems using magic. Hence their name ... MAGES. If they should equip themselves with Pick-Axes to solve their problems, let's say like Conan the Barbarian, then they would be called PICK MAGES.

You are not forced to play a mage with spells alone, if you like you can use wands, weapons, and all the like. But since their CLASS is mages, i would appreciate it, if they can play the game using their class power.
Old October 21, 2019, 04:18   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
I actually DO LIKE if mages solve all their problems using magic. Hence their name ... MAGES. If they should equip themselves with Pick-Axes to solve their problems, let's say like Conan the Barbarian, then they would be called PICK MAGES.

You are not forced to play a mage with spells alone, if you like you can use wands, weapons, and all the like. But since their CLASS is mages, i would appreciate it, if they can play the game using their class power.
Yes, we've had this discussion a few times, as I recall. My stance remains the same: no class should find that its class features are so powerful that it has no desire to make use of the other tools in the game, whether those be melee weapons, bows, magic devices, potions, etc.

While you absolutely can play the game with spells alone (and I was not intending to suggest that you be forbidden from doing so), that should feel more challenging than making use of all of the tools available to you. Just like a ranger using only bows should be a challenge game, or a warrior using only melee. A mage using only spells should find that there are a significant number of challenges that would be made substantially easier if they allowed themselves to "stray from the path". After all, they're playing under a conduct that artificially restricts their options.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote