Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 19, 2019, 10:04   #1
DavidMedley
Adept

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Restore Lost Life

I know this is a big departure from one of the core features of the game, and I'm not even sure it's a good idea. BUT: what if monsters that drained XP returned that XP to you if you kill them? Of course, for balance's sake, something would have to be added to those attacks... maybe the drained XP could be significantly more, perhaps even 10x. Then the draining would have serious immediate consequences, but you'd have a way to recover without an item. It would be more like monsters that steal items from you. Or drain XP could come with a random stat drain, too. Or temporary slowness.

Lots of ways to go to keep the steal XP attack powerful, if we implemented the return-xp-upon death suggestion above. Does anyone actually like this suggestion?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 11:50   #2
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Sorry, i'm against it.
I do like that one needs to consider the risk of permanent XP loss if they go into battle with certain monsters.
The above change also would make Hold Life and the various restore XP methods far less useful in my opinion.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 12:07   #3
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
You mean game would still keep !RLLs ? Hold life would be the same? If not, I'm imagining chasing time/chaos vortices, that ever so often get outta-LOS (or behind the monster pack) drain breath at you. Also, I see my drainer getting trampled by something and I'm left to level up again.

I would probably be ok with this idea if it only happened with draining melee attacks. Hard to say without trying. All in all, far too many attack types (nether, time, chaos) would make me chase just one monster.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 12:36   #4
dionysian
Apprentice

dionysian is on a distinguished road
This is an interesting idea. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

It might also be a good idea to eliminate the stat restoration on level increases that result from levels regained when xp is restored. That might be a good change to implement on its own, but it would certainly make sense here. Otherwise, xp drain would run the risk of turning into a "free" stat restore.
Old November 19, 2019, 13:12   #5
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Blackguard special ability?
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 13:55   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I've occasionally suggested that we replace the permanent XP drain that monsters inflict with temporary (i.e. goes away on its own after a short time) level drain, which !RLL would then fix. Currently, players avoid being XP drained because nobody likes losing progress, but its actual effects are hard to measure. It's mildly strategically significant, but almost never tactically significant. Whereas if you got bit by a vampire (or breathed on by a nether vortex, etc), and suddenly your spell failure rates increase, you forget some spells, your max HP/SP decreases, etc., then you have a pretty clear and immediate incentive to avoid getting bit again!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 14:39   #7
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Well if wraiths & vampires evolved into the bigger forms when they drained life they'd give a bunch of xp back when you killed them...
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2019, 01:18   #8
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
The only truly permanent experience drain I'm aware of is that of the potential One Ring activation side-effect. No potion, spell or artifact will recover experience lost a a result of activating The One Ring.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2019, 07:57   #9
DavidMedley
Adept

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I've occasionally suggested that we replace the permanent XP drain that monsters inflict with temporary (i.e. goes away on its own after a short time) level drain, which !RLL would then fix. Currently, players avoid being XP drained because nobody likes losing progress, but its actual effects are hard to measure. It's mildly strategically significant, but almost never tactically significant. Whereas if you got bit by a vampire (or breathed on by a nether vortex, etc), and suddenly your spell failure rates increase, you forget some spells, your max HP/SP decreases, etc., then you have a pretty clear and immediate incentive to avoid getting bit again!
Yeah, exactly. I think there's plenty of ways to make XP drain interesting. Here are some problems, as I see it, with the current system.

1) IT'S NOT FUN!
2) The monster doesn't seem to derive any benefit. Contrast with Drain Mana.
3) (or maybe 2a) The immediate effect on the player is negligible.
4) Above CL 50 it can be really useless
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2019, 16:44   #10
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
tbh i'd be hapy that life loss scaled with damage, or that there were tiers of life loss. Losing 20k xp to a vampire bat is infuriating.