Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 13, 2010, 20:43   #1
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Some feedback on pseudo-id

First of all, I think the new ID-by-use is great, and makes especially the early game much more fun. The new pseudo and the removal of *Identify* are good IMHO.
However, I think that in the late game some of the identifying tediousness creeps back. Wearing things just to know their powers is unncessarily tedious.
Here are a couple of suggestions that I think would improve the situation:
1) remove {ego} overall, and pseudo-id everything as {excellent} or {splendid} immediately. Currently, for most of the mid-game, I have to spend two turns wearing it just to know which is which --- booring.
1.5) when the {splendid} pseudo-id happens, tell the players immediately what are the "splendid" powers. Why do I have to spend a turn wearing it just to know?
2) pseudo-id artifacts as {special} when one walks upon them. So that one does not need to pick up and drop every item just to check if it is an artifact.
3) in the late game (e.g. from clvl 35 on), give a certain probability that pseudo-id happens immediately when the player walks upon an object (no need to pick it up) --- maybe the {average} and {magic} pseudo could always happen when walking upon the object? Maybe the probability could depend on the perception/searching ability?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2010, 15:09   #2
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
I agree exactly with the problem you mention and I like your suggestions. Spending time picking up or wielding items in the late game is kinda boring and annoying.
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2010, 19:27   #3
bebo
Adept

bebo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post
Spending time picking up or wielding items in the late game is kinda boring and annoying.
But extremely relevant if for example you are in a vault and have powerful hostiles in LOS. The proposed change would make things a bit too easy imho.
bebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2010, 19:39   #4
nullfame
Adept

nullfame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebo View Post
But extremely relevant if for example you are in a vault and have powerful hostiles in LOS. The proposed change would make things a bit too easy imho.
I can't imagine my focus being on ID this situation so I think it is a non-issue. I would be surprised if, even given the proposed change, someone would waste a turn picking up an unidentified weapon/armour with life-threatening hostiles in sight.
nullfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2010, 20:02   #5
bebo
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullfame View Post
I can't imagine my focus being on ID this situation so I think it is a non-issue. I would be surprised if, even given the proposed change, someone would waste a turn picking up an unidentified weapon/armour with life-threatening hostiles in sight.
that un-ID'd ring that may be either narya-nenya-vilya or a ring of the dog disagrees [true story]

EDIT: I totally had a Barney Stinson moment there. Legendary!
Old August 14, 2010, 20:40   #6
nullfame
Adept

nullfame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
that un-ID'd ring that may be either narya-nenya-vilya
It's my understanding that the OP is talking about weapons/armour. There is no pseudo on rings, amulets, potions, scrolls, rods, etc. In the situation you describe one might make a strategic decision to grab an unidentified flavor but that is totally different.
nullfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2010, 21:15   #7
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
that un-ID'd ring that may be either narya-nenya-vilya or a ring of the dog disagrees [true story]
If you read the descriptions, Vilya for example is "The Ring of Sapphire, with clear blue gems that shine like stars", they should be obvious on walkover.

From a gameplay perspective, is the interest in such a situation that happens perhaps once every 10 winners worth the annoyance of wielding every one of thousands of pseudoed ego items in the same timeframe? The gameplay cost/benefit analysis seems overwhelming to me.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2010, 01:17   #8
bebo
Adept

true, i made an extreme example. but still, especially (maybe only) in the case of vaults, i find myself often having to make tactical decisions (to, etc) in order to have that extra turn to grab that un-ID'd piece of equipment that by item placement (according to vault spoilers) i know to be really good, and then teleport away before a dangerous enemy comes into los. I agree, this doesn't happen often, but having immediate pseudo without even picking up an item seems way too cheesy to me .

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
If you read the descriptions, Vilya for example is "The Ring of Sapphire, with clear blue gems that shine like stars", they should be obvious on walkover.
I had absolutely no idea this was the case. so just by looking at any un-identified unique ring you already know which one it is? this hardly seems right/consistent to me.
Old August 15, 2010, 01:35   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I had absolutely no idea this was the case. so just by looking at any un-identified unique ring you already know which one it is? this hardly seems right/consistent to me.
The artifacts are supposed to be historic items, that everyone heard about at campfires growing up. I'd go the other way. I think they should be fully identified on pickup, and I'd include randarts as well.

Even without descriptions, an experienced player will know which standard artifact ring is which on wield, so you're only delaying that info one turn even if you [IMO] screw up the gameplay to achieve it.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2010, 09:23   #10
bebo
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The artifacts are supposed to be historic items, that everyone heard about at campfires growing up. I'd go the other way. I think they should be fully identified on pickup, and I'd include randarts as well.
Yes, but not from a distance. As you said, after you pick them up. Probably i understood wrong what you wrote before, i thought you could do this also through the look command, without going to their square and picking them up (that is, assuming 'l'ook and then 'r'ecall work for items as for monsters. i admit i almost never used these commands it in my life for objects, although very often for enemies).