AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old September 18, 2018, 07:00   #1
Mantis
Rookie

Mantis is on a distinguished road
Iron Man

Hello everyone.

After much effort I managed to nab a Sil with a Feanor & a Finarfin- playing on the Android 1.3 build. However I found nipping between 900 & 950 a little immersion breaking and decided to try the straight down challenge option. It's quite tough, my best effort perished around 750 when I was too reluctant to escape the level - you need every point of XP you can get or you're soon overmatched! Anyone have any advice on the best sort of build for this kind of challenge?
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 10:31   #2
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
My only ironman win was a christmas start with Dramborleg. It's hard to do without leaping which makes some kind of sprinting archer a natural choice.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2018, 11:37   #3
Mantis
Rookie

Thanks, my previous winners were stabbers so an archer might be the way to go. Alternatively I might try reducing the turncount if having to take Leaping proves too restrictive & repetitive. It saves your bacon now & again though!
Old September 21, 2018, 11:02   #4
wobbly
Veteran

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21949

3 Sils, ironman. Got him down to 3, tried Calris, my vampric & Angrist. Think I would of made the kill if I tried Angrist earlier. Very tight in the endgame, I was pretty lucky with drops though I never found the damage ring I wanted.
Old September 21, 2018, 12:19   #5
Mantis
Rookie

Congrats, very interesting choices! You went with a non-leaping stabber it seems : I just had a YASD at 750 with a decent archer after leaping somewhere, discovering that the corridor configuration didn't permit leaping back, and then getting a multiple critical decapitation by Tevildo's Guard on a misclick. Maybe leaping isn't worth it after all!
Old September 21, 2018, 12:33   #6
wobbly
Veteran

I held back the xp for leaping till I was pretty sure I could just risk it. The problem is a chasm cutting the level in half can lose you 2 levels. I'm actually using the shield in my pack for most of the game which left me a little noisy for pure stabbing. Usually I used the bow rather then risking getting to stabbing range.
Old September 22, 2018, 02:20   #7
Mantis
Rookie

Well you seem to have gotten enough XP anyway, I guess Iron Man costs the player chances to find more consumables & items rather than XP. Incidentally, do Iron Man rules apply on the ascent too? Though I suppose crumbling stairs can still happen...
Old September 22, 2018, 16:44   #8
wobbly
Veteran

Yeah you wont be short the xp if you murder everything. I had danger on my gear for the 2nd half of the descent, not sure how much extra it netted me. It's still a bit tight if you want the kill, just because without a perfect gear set you'll want to be a bit more optimized in your build. I could of done with extra melee/evasion, though even with my odd build I had enough, just didn't get the fight quite right.

Not sure about the ascent, I never tried to go down. There's always chasms though, so going down is not going to be a problem.