Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 28, 2018, 16:43   #11
Milamber
Rookie

Milamber is on a distinguished road
I always disable movement with the mouse, I didn't even have my hand on the number pad or near the 5 key, all I did was hit enter to clear the 'more' prompts, I didn't get an opportunity to take an action. Also there ARE no items that detect traps. I specifically created a @ with all flavors known just to check and went through all the scrolls, wands, rods, and staves. They aren't there anymore, even rods of detection don't detect traps.
Milamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018, 03:28   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milamber View Post
Also there ARE no items that detect traps. I specifically created a @ with all flavors known just to check and went through all the scrolls, wands, rods, and staves. They aren't there anymore, even rods of detection don't detect traps.
Correct, the only way to detect traps now is the mage spell, or natural passive searching (which can only be affected by race/class properties or items with + to searching).

This was the result of a long discussion about how to make traps more interesting again in the lead-up to releasing version 4.1. The issue with the previous state of traps was that after the early game all traps were detected all the time by all classes, so that they lost all surprise value.
Old April 29, 2018, 14:59   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Correct, the only way to detect traps now is the mage spell, or natural passive searching (which can only be affected by race/class properties or items with + to searching).

This was the result of a long discussion about how to make traps more interesting again in the lead-up to releasing version 4.1. The issue with the previous state of traps was that after the early game all traps were detected all the time by all classes, so that they lost all surprise value.
I'm still of the opinion that traps were never a good idea, and the correct solution is to remove them entirely. Apparently that was too drastic for Nick to contemplate though.

Also: note that you only get one chance to detect traps, to discourage the player from slooooowly searching every single tile before stepping on it.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018, 02:01   #14
Milamber
Rookie

Milamber is on a distinguished road
After losing 5 lvl 30+ characters in as many days I'm just sick of this, been playing since '98 and it's just no fun having to start from scratch over and over and over again when I'm playing a game to try and enjoy myself. I'm deleting my account. Going back to The Long Dark. Goodbye.
Milamber is offline   Reply With Quote