Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old May 28, 2018, 00:03   #1
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Ugly, ugly, very ugly

Bonus points if you can reference the Canadian children's author who made the above title part of a book.

Lesson learned playing H/O paladin, ironman. Apart from Kevlax in the dark will breathe all sorts of nasty on you.

Now, I know what you're saying. Why, man, did you not Det Evil to locate Kevlax? It's a one manapoint spell, after all.

Yep.

Yer right. Totally agree.

Except I had lost EVERY functional spellbook. I had Exorcisms, but couldn't use any of those spells. So ... no curing, no det evil, no portal. Got stuck on a 6-9, unable to get to stairs, unable to heal, burning through potions of healing like nobody's business.

I had religiously (oh, heh, funny unintentional pun) pared down books to two a pop, for weight considerations, primarily. Lost a few, despite some pfire. So six books lost to fire bolts, breathers, etc, etc.

Lesson: hoard thy spellbooks. Which is why take deux has four level one books right now.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018, 02:26   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Ouch. 2 town books is optimal if you can recall. In ironman, it's ~4 or 0 (the latter for town books you don't really need.) For dungeon books, it's 1 with high DEX, or 2 with bad DEX*. Chasing down Harowen at normal speed is a huge drag.

* PS: autocorrect made a HILARIOUS change here. Yep, it does take two...
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018, 02:38   #3
Squeak
Rookie

Squeak is on a distinguished road
Robert Munsch

My kids love Stephanie's ponytail
Squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 01:52   #4
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Ouch. 2 town books is optimal if you can recall. In ironman, it's ~4 or 0 (the latter for town books you don't really need.) For dungeon books, it's 1 with high DEX, or 2 with bad DEX*. Chasing down Harowen at normal speed is a huge drag.

* PS: autocorrect made a HILARIOUS change here. Yep, it does take two...
Yeah, I learned the ironman lesson, I guess. And thanks for the thought on the dungeon books down deep. (If that situation arises.))

Problem, though is that carrying a crapton of books makes you slow.... at least until the STR potions show up.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 02:59   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I'm not entirely sure that 2 is right--it is extra weight, after all. You can just teleport Harowen, if you see him in time. But he once stole my only copy of Resistances. I did finally manage to kill him, but it wasn't something I want to repeat.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 17:47   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Harowen has no ranged attacks, unless you count creating traps. He's consequently very vulnerable to Phase Door. Of course he's ridiculously fast, but if you can achieve a temporary speed of +10 and fight him alone, then you should be able to kill him.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote