Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 25, 2018, 11:14   #1
Khuzdul
Scout

Khuzdul is on a distinguished road
Which ring is best

So I was scumming around dlvl 85ish with Nenya on one hand and a speed <+18> ring on the other when I came across Narya. I'm having a hard time choosing between the speed ring and Narya because the latter brings my hp above the 700 mark which I really need at this stage but the loss of so much speed is a bad blow.
Any advice would be wonderful, thanks.
Khuzdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 12:49   #2
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
what are your speeds with the +18 and narya?
Old June 25, 2018, 13:00   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Assuming you have speed from other sources, I'd go with two rings of Power. Native speed +20 is enough for most anything.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 20:57   #4
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Depends on sustains, other sources of speed, etc. However, if in doubt, use one as a swap with the speed ring. You can then get the sustains, resistances, immunities, and speed needed for specific situations until you have enough speed from boots, cloaks, trickery, etc., to confidently two-fist the Elven rings.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 00:03   #5
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
I wish I had that character. Two rings of power and a +18 speed ring? Those are some insanely lucky finds.

But yeah, +18 is probably overkill if you have any other sources of permanent speed at all, so the elven rings are the better choices. But do keep that ring around to show off, because you probably won't find anything cooler to put in a house slot.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 09:04   #6
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Got a char a while ago that found a +23 speed ring... and didn't use it
Old August 5, 2018, 02:13   #7
Soteria
Rookie

Soteria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
I wish I had that character. Two rings of power and a +18 speed ring? Those are some insanely lucky finds.

But yeah, +18 is probably overkill if you have any other sources of permanent speed at all, so the elven rings are the better choices. But do keep that ring around to show off, because you probably won't find anything cooler to put in a house slot.
Right now, I'm playing a mage (level 49, now) who just found Narya and Vilya in a vault at 4450'. Alas, now I have to choose between the 3 rings of power, a +6 con ring, and a +12 speed ring.

Kelek's Grimoire was in there, too, just in case I didn't already have it. I figure I've about used up my luck at this point, so I'm pretty much headed down to end it now.
Soteria is offline   Reply With Quote