Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2018, 16:04   #1
Tibarius
Swordsman
 
Tibarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 49
Posts: 368
Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
Improvement Ideas:

Greetings Angband Community,

i played FATE from WildTangent Games lately once again and i think a couple of game mechanics could maybe be an improvement for Angband as well:

(1) resistances:
The player should have a clue about how high his resistance versus certain elements is.

Resistance shown on items in %,like 'Resistance Fire: 30%'.

Resistances are multiplicative... two items with 30% resistance will result in a total resistance of:
30% (from 100) = 70%, 30% (from the remaining 70%) = 49% total resistance

(2) uniques:
instead of uniques which are counted in a finite list it could be done that 'unique' monster which are remarkable harder than the standard monster are generated by random as well, I think also Diablo I had this kind of behavior.

(3) special rooms:
I think special rooms, like vaults should be totally removed. They add an repeatable, calculated non-random element to the game. I consider that negative.

Kind regards,
Tibarius
__________________
Blondes are more fun!
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018, 17:19   #2
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 602
Gwarl is on a distinguished road
1) Many variants have different resistance schemes. I believe that the binary "resist-or-don't" plus stacking temp resists is a deliberate design choice at this point.

2) Just an opinion here but having fixed uniques not only enhances the thematic elements of the game, but even in variants where the theme is less central to the game's appeal, having particular named enemies lets you build up a sort of relationship with them with time. Kavlax the many headed for instance is a name burned into the memory of many players.

3) Moria lacked prefabricated rooms and it's bland monochrome hell. Prefabricated rooms are essential to the replay value of a roguelike, if anything the weaknesses of having them are best dealt with by having far more of them.

I think you could rather easily hack (3) into your copy of angband to give it a try. You'll probably agree that the dungeons get a lot more boring if you do.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018, 18:12   #3
Philip
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague,Czech Republic
Posts: 862
Philip is on a distinguished road
Personally I find playing with the various resistance schemes rather fun, but yeah, considering what a long and specific history percentile resists have (O already had them, and FA already had arbitrary valued percentile resists), I suspect Nick is in fact aware of the possibility.

Randomly generated minibosses can be fun (Tome4 has them as well, for example), but they do require a rather different design sensibility than the one V has IMO, and they aren't necessary to the game. That said, bring back player ghosts (who aren't random I know it's just a tangent). The only way I can see this being an actually fun gameplay experience is if these monsters held some relation to the metanarrative, as Gwarl points out. I think this can be done, it would just require the monster that killed your previous character to become a unique until a descendant finally kills it. I think this would be fun, but it would be a lot of work.

Leaving aside that the presence or absence of special rooms, and their contents, are in fact randomly determined, there are plenty of other aspects of the game that are non-random. Monsters, objects and the player are all very non-random. This is necessary, otherwise the game becomes statistical noise.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018, 20:52   #4
Voovus
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: London
Posts: 56
Voovus is on a distinguished road
1) I'm very much in favour of the binary version of resistances. Having said that, it would indeed be good if the player knew how high the resistances are. Is there any good reason why they block different amounts depending on the element? I've always found this a bit annoying, but maybe I'm missing the point.

3) Moria is a very pleasant monochrome hell.
More seriously: Gwarl, is the hack you suggest actually easy to implement, and, if so, could you tell me how? I'd be interested to try. I suspect that Angband has now developed in a way that relies too much on special rooms, but it still could be an interesting test.

4) Player ghosts. I hitchhiked all the way to Angband from Moria, because I heard someone mention that it had player ghosts, which sounded really cool. It's been quite disappointing...
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018, 22:38   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,217
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
(1) resistances:
The player should have a clue about how high his resistance versus certain elements is.

Resistance shown on items in %,like 'Resistance Fire: 30%'.

Resistances are multiplicative... two items with 30% resistance will result in a total resistance of:
30% (from 100) = 70%, 30% (from the remaining 70%) = 49% total resistance
This is exactly how FAangband resistances work. IMHO it works well, but I think the V resistance scheme is good too. I do plan to make high resists in V a bit more straightforward.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018, 16:25   #6
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,685
wobbly is on a distinguished road
I like variable resistance though I think PCB-like progression is better then FAs. FA allows you to get far to close to a perfect resist set in my opinion. My last FA win I was near untouchable by the final fight
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018, 16:30   #7
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,685
wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
I think you could rather easily hack (3) into your copy of angband to give it a try. You'll probably agree that the dungeons get a lot more boring if you do.
It's changing 1 number in dungeon profile.txt. As Gwarl says, it's... basically just 11x11 squares with them all the way off
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018, 21:15   #8
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,685
wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
More seriously: Gwarl, is the hack you suggest actually easy to implement, and, if so, could you tell me how? I'd be interested to try. I suspect that Angband has now developed in a way that relies too much on special rooms, but it still could be an interesting test.

4) Player ghosts. I hitchhiked all the way to Angband from Moria, because I heard someone mention that it had player ghosts, which sounded really cool. It's been quite disappointing...
I missed this before. In dungeon profile.txt, firstly there is a key. Read that and you can change what you like. What you are looking for is rarity. Ordinary rooms are rarity 0. Setting classic and modified to rarity 0 will stop it generating anything else. Greater vaults may be harder to switch off, I haven't looked at the code there. Maybe you need to recompile, maybe you don't.

My understanding of player ghosts are they are like the O/FA ones. It's just a unique undead with a player character name tacked on.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2018, 23:23   #9
Tibarius
Swordsman
 
Tibarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 49
Posts: 368
Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
replay value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
1) Many variants have different resistance schemes. I believe that the binary "resist-or-don't" plus stacking temp resists is a deliberate design choice at this point.

2) Just an opinion here but having fixed uniques not only enhances the thematic elements of the game, but even in variants where the theme is less central to the game's appeal, having particular named enemies lets you build up a sort of relationship with them with time. Kavlax the many headed for instance is a name burned into the memory of many players.

3) Moria lacked prefabricated rooms and it's bland monochrome hell. Prefabricated rooms are essential to the replay value of a roguelike, if anything the weaknesses of having them are best dealt with by having far more of them.

I think you could rather easily hack (3) into your copy of angband to give it a try. You'll probably agree that the dungeons get a lot more boring if you do.
If i understand you right you say repeatingly encountering the same rooms increases fun in playing the game? It is just the opposite for me. I consider the development going into a total wrong direction at all.

Nick might be a good coder, but he is obviously no good game developer.
__________________
Blondes are more fun!
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2018, 23:33   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,013
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
And what exactly do you recommend instead? Potshots at 5he maintainer seem particularly without value.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
improvement suggestion Caesum Development 4 November 13, 2009 04:15
Improvement suggestions? dhegler Vanilla 4 November 4, 2009 04:10
Improvement to stores/ID Magnate Vanilla 2 May 21, 2009 17:02
A place for FA questions and ideas for improvement buzzkill Variants 52 September 21, 2008 22:47
Site improvement pav Oook! 79 October 24, 2007 01:39


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.