Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old December 10, 2019, 05:02   #31
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
How far did the old python-band project get?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2019, 05:30   #32
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It was in Python 2, not 3, but a fair ways along. My reach exceeded my grasp though; I was trying to write this fully-general character/equipment attribute system that I have a sneaking suspicion was Turing-complete, and I didn't have the perspective to realize that to do it properly I'd need, like, grammars and other language-processing tools. Should've stuck to something simpler.

It's still online. The gamedata is a bit out of date (we were somewhere around version 3.1 when I started, as I recall) and of course a bunch of functionality is missing, but I think it'd probably still be faster to start from that than to start from scratch.

That said, the real pro move would probably be to use libtcod, just because it has so much more community support. Or Unity.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019, 12:36   #33
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That said, the real pro move would probably be to use libtcod, just because it has so much more community support. Or Unity.
Disagree on both.

libtcod is mostly there for giving you stock routines for things like LoS and map generation, which probably don't exactly correspond to angband. Unity for a roguelike just makes me sad, all that overhead.

I think the right thing would be to write a frontend in electron that can wire into the existing code, providing forward compatibility on all platforms whilst retaining the efficiency of meticulous C code.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019, 12:49   #34
Gauss
Apprentice

Gauss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It was in Python 2, not 3, but a fair ways along. My reach exceeded my grasp though; I was trying to write this fully-general character/equipment attribute system that I have a sneaking suspicion was Turing-complete, and I didn't have the perspective to realize that to do it properly I'd need, like, grammars and other language-processing tools. Should've stuck to something simpler.

It's still online. The gamedata is a bit out of date (we were somewhere around version 3.1 when I started, as I recall) and of course a bunch of functionality is missing, but I think it'd probably still be faster to start from that than to start from scratch.

I would like to use yor existent source code as basis if you give me permission. I would try to port it to python 3 first since python 2 will get abandoned in 2020.
Gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019, 16:02   #35
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
I would like to use yor existent source code as basis if you give me permission. I would try to port it to python 3 first since python 2 will get abandoned in 2020.
It's all open source so you don't need my permission; go for it, and I wish you the best of luck!
Old December 11, 2019, 20:49   #36
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
cool project! my wife learning python atm, it will be interested for her to look into it

Derakon, Gauss, guys, do you plan to put it @ github, so it will be possible to fork it?
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019, 23:39   #37
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post
cool project! my wife learning python atm, it will be interested for her to look into it

Derakon, Gauss, guys, do you plan to put it @ github, so it will be possible to fork it?
Go right ahead! You just need to download the existing code and then upload it to GitHub. I haven't touched the Pyrel code base in years, so please don't wait on my account.
Old December 12, 2019, 09:26   #38
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
A brief comment on some of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Vampire Strike "target is shielded"
This one seems simple & mostly a case of whether you want to exclude webs & traps. Currently it checks square_isempty instead of square_ispassable. Oh & having a better fail message.

Quote:
Make Protection from Evil usable at all levels but not OP
I feel FCPB has a better implementation of this if you want to take a look.

Quote:
Get rid of 18/xxx notation
Some variants do. It confuses players used to angband numbers & adds no extra clarity to newbs. How much is 15? 20? 25? 50? It's not the notation that creates confusion.

Quote:
Contribute to documentation/wiki
Yeah! Help file is in a terrible state.

Quote:
Reorganize monster recall
I suspect a more readable form would be welcome.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 12:22   #39
Gauss
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It's all open source so you don't need my permission; go for it, and I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you. Didn't notice it was open source, anyways i prefer to ask so i don't get in trouble.
Old December 12, 2019, 12:23   #40
Gauss
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post

I will put it on github so anyone can fork/contribute. Don't expect it to soon since i have final exams on january and my free time is limited right now.