Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 4, 2014, 18:35   #21
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
When I was talking about abilities I was really meaning in regards to FA. I think it'd be fun to have even more in FA, not so much adding any to V.

But Necrodancer, that is an *awesome* game. I got it a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to beat hardcore mode, but getting close.

I guess I could play Sil to a soundtrack and only move on the beats or something. That might be fun. I ought to figure out turncount per mindepth to find songs that time out just right based on # of beats or something... but I'm way too lazy for that.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2014, 18:58   #22
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
I guess I could play Sil to a soundtrack and only move on the beats or something.
I'd actually thought about making a version like this, despite never having played a game like that.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2014, 20:47   #23
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
That's cool. The reason I thought of Sil and Necrodancer is because when the song for the level is over, it drops you down to the next level if you haven't already taken the stairs.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014, 09:17   #24
ranger jeff
Apprentice

ranger jeff is on a distinguished road
Two thoughts from recent play experience...

why don't dragons hardly ever breathe? seems like less than 1% chance. They should be 1/4 breathe, 1/4 cast (unless at deep levels and they only have weak spells, see below) and the rest move towards or attack.

and why do most spellcasters spam useless spells? I mean, at DL 60, they should figure I probably have rBlind and rConf and FA, so why try to slow/blind/confuse me??? This is probably a whole bunch of new code to suggest, but for spellcasters, look at their available spells, and adjust the probability of which spell to cast up to the more powerful ones at deeper levels, and if they have no really powerful spells to match the level, then just attack or summon or blink away.

And not sure about mana, but maybe figure casters in terms of probability, 1/1 casters, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, and maybe weak casters just 1 out of every 6 rounds. Yes, drujes will cast every round, most mages and sorcerers should cast every other round, and down on the line.

Last edited by ranger jeff; October 6, 2014 at 09:25.
ranger jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014, 09:53   #25
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger jeff View Post
and why do most spellcasters spam useless spells? I mean, at DL 60, they should figure I probably have rBlind and rConf and FA, so why try to slow/blind/confuse me???
If that bothers you there is option "monsters learn from their mistakes". One cast of blind, no effect, no more casts of blind. It's in birth-options.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014, 10:54   #26
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
and why do most spellcasters spam useless spells?
Spells are not really useless, monster just don't know your resistances, there is an option to allow monsters to fully know player's resists. Also dragons don't breath if resistance is high, monster learn about resistance after first breath or elemental melee attack.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014, 11:16   #27
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
The reason players really like to have FA, Rblnd, Rconf by that point is that monsters have those spells, among other things. They are very damaging if used succesfully, and worth a try on the monsters part. If you use learn from mistakes, they won't waste time with them.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014, 15:59   #28
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Another thing to keep in mind with smart spellcasters is that they become massively more threatening. In fact, there used to be a "monsters cast spells intelligently" birth option, but it was taken out because it made any monster with a Heal spell effectively immortal. That kind of thing has to be combined with the addition of limitations on how often monsters can cast spells before it will be balanced.

Dragons breathe a bit rarely; I think the ancient dragons breathe 1 turn in 5, and anything younger than that is 1 in 10? I don't have the files handy right now. 1 in 10 is the rarest cast frequency, so certainly dragons aren't breathing only 1% of the time.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014, 01:56   #29
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I don't have enough experience with FA to comment on all of these, but my opinion for a few:

3) I notice this more playing xp bonus characters who are spellcasters since they get new spells so quickly. In the early game, the xp penalty races don't play that much different since they're usually stronger and can dive a little faster (at least for me). They can seem a little grindier mid-game. Don't really have too much of an opinion on this, but I think it does add a little bit to differentiate the races, although I'd not be surprised if there were a more fun way to do this.

4) Rubble just seems broken in V. More types of monsters should be able to bypass or destroy it.

5) Varied terrain- would love this, especially if monsters used it creatively, and or it allows players to play more tactically. Light/dark, line of sight, speed, attack penalties/bonus, etc. Also just more flavor, which I for one would appreciate in V.

11) I'd like a mix of randarts and the standard set.

12) summoning: Different monsters should do this differently. Human henchmen and maybe animals should appear at the caster's side. Q's should summon to the player. Super devious monsters should summon to block exits at the beginning of the fight, and to the player or between player and summoner if badly hurt.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014, 11:21   #30
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Thank you all, this thread has some of the best comments ever. I particularly like the monster mana discussion.