Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old November 11, 2019, 19:01   #1
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Other games that work with permanent death

Taking a gameplay approach from Angband elsewhere, what other games work well with the permanent death approach? I know Diablo has that option.

I'm currently trying it with a run through Fallout 4, though I think that's going to be pretty difficult because there are so many ways to die by complete surprise. What else works well this way?
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019, 20:08   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
"Roguelike" is an entire genre and most games in the genre feature permadeath, though it's sometimes optional. So there's the classic roguelikes like NetHack, ADOM, Crawl, etc. There's also modern roguelikes like Caves of Qud, Dungeonmans, and Tangledeep. But then there's also the "roguelite" genre, which mixes permadeath and procedural generation with other kinds of gameplay besides bump-combat dungeon exploration. For example, Spelunky and Catacomb Kids are roguelite platformers. Nuclear Throne and Cryptark are roguelite twin-stick shooters. Crypt of the NecroDancer is a roguelite rhythm game. Teleglitch is roguelite survival horror. And Transcendence is roguelite space inertial combat and exploration.

I recommend all of the above games I named, but especially NecroDancer and Cryptark. That should keep you busy for a bit.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019, 20:27   #3
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
Recently I've started 'Rage of Mages 2' server - very old and cool online RPG: http://tangar.info/en/rom2

There are a lot of new stuff (comparing to old RoM2), and permadeath is one of them. You loose all exp upon dying Also your items drops on the ground, you hve to pick them up
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019, 15:38   #4
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Universal Paperclips has a very permanent death: https://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/ Played it through last night
Old November 12, 2019, 15:59   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Hangman, perhaps?
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019, 05:57   #6
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Hangman is probably about my speed, it looks like. :-)

Fallout is very challenging, it turns out. Three tries so far, died by level 7 each one. (For those not familiar, by the time you win the game you are usually in the level 50-70 range, on average.) This may prove too frustrating for me, we'll see....
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2019, 00:24   #7
Hounded
Scout

Hounded is on a distinguished road
Land of Devastation is an old BBS game which I thoroughly enjoyed. It'll run on any DOS based machine and handles well even as a single-player experience.

There are some safety nets in addition to being able to set up a clone (only available back at the starting point and tied to the point in the game when you set it up. If you die in the Wasteland your equipment stays with the corpse).

It's also ridiculously easy to re-skin if one has the ambition to do so. I spent a pile of time re-skinning it for a Dune theme (wish I still had those files).

https://www.smbaker.com/games/land-o...tation-classic