AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 29, 2019, 20:42   #41
Kreutzer
Rookie

Kreutzer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Sorry, that's more stupidity in the makefile, q_laboratory.txt no longer exists and I've removed it from the makefile now.

Gwarl clearly has some way to compile even with the bad makefile though (probably through completely ignoring that makefile like Windows installs do).
Would it help to remove any files the Makefile can't find *from* the Makefile? There's a few others, like old_volc.txt as mentioned.
Kreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 20:47   #42
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutzer View Post
Hello! Yeah, I'd like to clarify how I'm doing this.

Following the readme.txt instructions.
This is a mistake. As I say, if you run configure using --with-no-install that should sidestep the problem completely.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 22:12   #43
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
The very latest dev version (from 2 hours ago) should have makefiles that match actually existing files, whatever problems persist there will be caused by something else.

Gwarl's advice should help but I'd like to get make install working too
Old November 30, 2019, 00:56   #44
Kreutzer
Rookie

Kreutzer is on a distinguished road
The dev version works perfectly for compiling! It still needs to be run as root to create save games, though.

(I also had this issue with no-installing it.)
Kreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 03:04   #45
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Hey, does Shift + Diagonal direction key 3 or 9 (via Num pad) on original keyset not work on FCPB on Linux angband.live? In my case, Shift + 3 or 9 (on Num pad) do nothing. Shift '7' or '1' work fine as run commands. This 'bug' is happening to me while on angband.live Ubuntu 18.0.4 LTS's Firefox or Chrome browsers. I never encountered this problem while on Windows 10 angband.live. (I think this is an exclusive angband.live on Linux bug) werecobalt confirmed he has the same problem

My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; November 30, 2019 at 04:04.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 13:32   #46
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutzer View Post
The dev version works perfectly for compiling! It still needs to be run as root to create save games, though.

(I also had this issue with no-installing it.)
go to config.h and look for the use private paths option
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2019, 03:41   #47
KiTA
Rookie

KiTA is on a distinguished road
So, odd question.

What are some good class/race/whatnot combinations?

I mean... Say you just want to win or feel powerful? What do you play as? Or just want to learn the game? Goof around?

Or say you wanted to show off something FCPB has that other variants doesn't? What then?

Is there a general, not "walkthrough" but general guideline to what dungeons you need to go and when? Or what dungeons you shouldn't enter without certain resists / HP totals / etc?
KiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2019, 04:23   #48
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Everybody has their own preferences; but if you just want to be really strong, I'd point first of all to Human Warlock which is the combo ster used in his record speedrun. (ster picked Hound pact to be extra-strong, but any warlock is strong.) Also human weaponsmith, human weaponmaster (most specialities are very strong, a few less so like Shields), human rune-knight, human alchemist, human gray-mage. The rather vanilla-seeming pick of human may be a bit surprising, but human is a strong and versatile package with fast leveling-up. Demigods, Balrogs, Archons and Klackons are very strong races but don't level up as fast as human does.

If you just want to learn things I'd suggest Klackon (new players die so much to confusion that the innate rConf on Klackon is huge) with a melee-oriented class (strong in the early game so you stay alive longer); if you want to get a hang of the spell system at the same time, perhaps priest or paladin so you still also get decent melee, or ninja if it doesn't need to be a book-caster. But a pure melee-er, like Weaponsmith or even Warrior, is good if you don't want to learn everything at once

If you want something that's uniquely FrogComposband... a werewolf Yeqrezh disciple. Werewolves are strong, and fun, and different, and Yeqrezh disciples can end up being almost anything. Chaotic personality, or Split if you're playing the dev version. I also really like Politician but other people seem to get headaches from it, so it may be more of an acquired taste

There are bits about when to enter dungeons in the help, but it's not really that complete and everyone has their own style, basically you can improvise as long as you know the basics (like "there's an ethereal dragon at the entrance of Crystal Castle who will kill you dead if you try going there early"). The general advice is that Reflection is good to have in Camelot, though you can certainly get by without if you're strong or just know what you're doing. Lonely Mountain is probably a saner place to level up in than the comparably-leveled Giant's Hall and Witch Wood - more favorable terrain, dragons that give good loot/XP, and a less nasty boss especially compared to Giant's Hall. My purely personal tendency in the endgame is to mostly hang out in Arena and R'lyeh, maybe Mine, and just visit the other DL40+ dungeons to kill the bosses. The bosses of Olympus, Pyramidal mound and Dark cave can be safely left alive if you want, the former two can't be summoned by the Serpent and Null from Dark Cave isn't a big issue. I personally often also let the Icky Queen live
Old December 5, 2019, 06:24   #49
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I feel a little like Warlock is easy if you are Ster, but not if you are a beginner. I'd recommend the Jelly for something that is both OP & beginner friendly.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2019, 14:20   #50
DavidMedley
Adept

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Seems like if you get Eldritch Blast working for you, that's 95% of Warlock.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband