Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 25, 2019, 05:07   #21
ShadowTechnology
Scout

ShadowTechnology is on a distinguished road
How to quickly update an existing character?

Periodically I would like to re-optimize an existing character. I've been uploading the new HTML dump file and starting all over each time. The tedious and time consuming part is adding all the attribute constraints one at a time before I can start optimization. Is there a way to do one of the following?

1. Have all the attributes open by default (with a neutral value), or as a menu option (e.g."expand all attributes")

2. Apply the existing set of open attributes from the last incarnation of a character to the updated copy of the same character (same file name). Maybe as a saved preference file?

Thanks again for this useful tool.
ShadowTechnology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 06:55   #22
schatz
Rookie

schatz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTechnology View Post
Periodically I would like to re-optimize an existing character. I've been uploading the new HTML dump file and starting all over each time.
You should not need to create a new character. Click on the link to the existing character and then click on the edit button at the bottom. You should then be able to upload the new HTML dump file for that character. Optimisation will then happen for the new HTML dump file.
schatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2019, 01:54   #23
ShadowTechnology
Scout

Optmizer not parsing some attributes corerectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatz View Post
You should not need to create a new character. Click on the link to the existing character and then click on the edit button at the bottom. You should then be able to upload the new HTML dump file for that character. Optimisation will then happen for the new HTML dump file.
Thanks for that helpful hint Schatz. I actually figured it out a few minutes after I posted my question, but I thought others might benefit from hearing the answer. I think my initial confusion was thinking a had to upload the new save file onto the server first, then open it, then optimize. I took me a while to notice the update button allows you to upload a new save file (in addition to allowing you to update your optimizing parameters). It's all good now.

But I have noticed a failure of the program to properly parse the attributes of some items. For example I have this weapon:
The Broad Axe of Lokar (2d7) (+25,+21) (+4) {StInCnSr|V/XU/*o(St}
The optimizer is recognizing Vampiric brand and *Slay Demon* but is not recognizing the Slay Evil or the Slay Orc.
Here's another example:
The Lochaber Axe of Fiona (3d9) (+16,+16) (+1) {WiSlSr;LvBs/XL/*p}
The optimizer sees *Slay Undead* but not Slay Evil or Slay People.

As you might imagine, missing some weapons with Slay Evil is going to have mess up endgame optimization quite a bit.

It's not just Randarts that are affected:
a Lochaber Axe of Gondolin (3d9) (+18,+15) {Dk;FaSiLu/DoTU}
Is not recognized as having slay Dragon, Orc, or Undead (strangely, it is seeing the Slay Troll attribute for some reason), which greatly underestimates its value and can eliminate it from consideration is /D (for example is a required attribute.

Can this be fixed by telling the program that:
Slay Troll = /T or /T? or /?T or /??T or /???T or ...
Old December 1, 2019, 02:37   #24
ShadowTechnology
Scout

Also, some of the Elemental Brands are not even being looked for:
|E and |P
(but |A, |F, and |Co are available for selection as attributes, and show up in the table)
Old December 1, 2019, 02:46   #25
ShadowTechnology
Scout

Hmm...
I backed out one step and went into the list of items again. The "of Gondolin" weapons are properly showing all four slays now (/DoTU), but the two Randart examples above are still broken.