Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old December 1, 2013, 00:57   #11
T-Mick
Adept

T-Mick is on a distinguished road
If you're only on your first game, remember that its not to late to quit and walk away.
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2013, 05:38   #12
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
If you're only on your first game, remember that its not to late to quit and walk away.
It may already be too late. The up side right now is that I can't play for too long of a stretch because I get frustrated from trying to learn how to accomplish some seemingly simple task.

It's kind of weird, but I think that what attracts me to DF is the historical/legacy aspect, the history and detail put into each and every dwarf as well as the world itself. All have names, family relationships, friends and enemies, likes and hates, differing abilities. I know that much of this of is vastly for simple flavor, with some minimal gameplay effect, but I find it intriguing none the less. If DF was played in a less detailed world with minimally detailed characters, I think it would play very much the same, but wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
Old December 1, 2013, 08:56   #13
buzzkill
Prophet

OK, stupid question time. Finally got around to making some furniture and creating some living quarters. When I go about assigning a room (with a bed in it) as a bedroom, DF as far as I can tell insists that the room be centered on the placement of the bed. This poses a problem for me as my spacious 3x3 bedrooms are all similarly furnished with the bed against the far wall thus leaving a portion of the room excluded (red), and a portion of the eastern wall included (orange). Is this a real problem? Should I just reposition the bed in the center of the room and be done with it? What other furnishings should a bedroom have?

Code:
XXXXX
X...X
D..BX
X...X
XXXXX
Bedroom layout. D is door. B is bed. X is wall. Orange is current questionable bedroom designation.
Old December 1, 2013, 10:04   #14
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Just allocate a larger room, so it includes all the walls (press '+' after 'r'), so wall value counts to the room value. Also keep in mind that ordianry dwarves (not nobles) are extremely happy with just a bed allocated as 1x1 size bedroom.

BTW DF tilesets are excellent, ulike Angband tiles really make things simpler in DF.

You probably should look here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.p...Bedroom_design

Last edited by LostTemplar; December 1, 2013 at 10:10.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2013, 10:35   #15
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
What other furnishings should a bedroom have?
A chest and a cabinet are a good way to improve room quality (which may improve mood), and dwarves will use them to store their possessions, which reduces the clutter. They can be made out of rock so they are quite cheap in all maps. But they are by no means necessary.
Keep fancier stuff (statues, windows, chairs) for the nobles apartments. A 3x1 room is plenty for lowly plebs.

LostTemplar already answered to the rest and linked that mind-blowing wiki page...

Have fun!

Last edited by fph; December 1, 2013 at 10:41.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2013, 11:26   #16
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
I would also recommend to look at this
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/ (fun starts from part 7), if you have not already. Best DF-related fun ever.

Quote:
A fisherdwarf nearly starved to death when a Tower Cap grew and blocked his path, locking him in the mill room. Fortunately his cries were heard before it was too late, and a dwarf armed with an axe struck the mushroom down.

Last edited by LostTemplar; December 1, 2013 at 12:39.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2013, 15:32   #17
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
I would also recommend to look at this
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/ (fun starts from part 7), if you have not already. Best DF-related fun ever.
I just read the whole of Boatmurdered. Simply brilliant. I feel drained. I feel somehow...scarred. I'd recommend it to anyone with an hour to spare. I didn't understand a single screenshot, but it didn't matter. Thanks for the link!
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2013, 17:50   #18
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I just read the whole of Boatmurdered. Simply brilliant.
Then you must experience BRONZEMURDER.

No so much a historical text as a wicked good illustrated bedtime story for the littlest dwarves. Now, go brush your beards and Mommy will tuck you in.
Old December 1, 2013, 18:12   #19
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Then you must experience BRONZEMURDER.

No so much a historical text as a wicked good illustrated bedtime story for the littlest dwarves. Now, go brush your beards and Mommy will tuck you in.
"But Mummy, I can't sleep. There's an emaciated miller hiding under my bed."

Very good.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013, 14:05   #20
buzzkill
Prophet

I've never had a problem building stairs, until now. Can my fortress have more than one access to the surface. You see, my trade depot is quite far from my (ahem) fortress. After screwing around for a while building bit and pieces of a road, I decided that it would be much easier and probably safer to tunnel to the depot and then build a ramp or stairway to the surface for access.

So, I finished the tunnel and then could not build an up staircase. Went to the surface and was able to construct a down staircase. Went back to Z-1 and still could not build the up staircase. Went to surface and channeled where the staircase was removing the staircase in the process and creating open space. Since then I've not been able to build any ramp or staircase from surface down or Z-1 up.

This doesn't really affect my game in a significant way. I just want it to work seeing as how I already dug out this ungodly long tunnel. Related question, how do I fill in the open space and/or replace a wall?