Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old June 3, 2019, 16:35   #1
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
close scraps and probably no treasure...

I am on DL52 and nearly die a whole bunch of times. I sorta wish I had recorded the level cause I don't even remember all the things that nearly killed me (Time hounds were high on the list, though). I killed all the Time hounds. I killed the hasty ent. I killed the hellhounds (after they destroyed a ?Banishment I just picked up >.<. There was no permanent vault on the level, only a small vault on the lower left of the map. So not expecting much but doing my duty to be sure nothing of note was on this 6-7 level (after nearly clearing the entire illuminated level without TO thanks to being a high elf warrior and wielding a 6d6 weapon), lo and behold actually some decent stuff in the vault, including two artifact weapons and a ring of power +4 DEX, +4 CON, +4 Speed, pConf, rPois, FrAct and immunity to cold. Not bad! Takes my speed up to +10 and I am ready to win da game sans anymore lazy/sloppy play.

For some reason I'm not a fan of "difficulty levels" in Angband. I find the old system of experience penalties for easier races much more appealing and interesting. Half Troll warrior at least has bad stealth and is good at setting off traps to compensate for all his great early game power, but a high elf really has no faults or penalties at all.
Old June 6, 2019, 09:58   #2
Gauss
Apprentice

Gauss is on a distinguished road
I agree that HE is a bit OP, but according to lore they must be. Also HE level very slowly compared to other races. The most important thing i've learned through my angband experience is that fully clearing a level WILL kill you consistently, so no surprise you nearly died a bunch of times on DL52.
Gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2019, 14:15   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Gauss--
Nick took out all EXP penalties. I agree they didn't make much sense for classes, but disagree entirely about removing it for races. It used to be HE was *forced* to dive to get EXP at any reasonable rate. No longer.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2019, 09:35   #4
Gauss
Apprentice

Always had the impression that my HE characters leveled slower than other races. Now i understand it was my perception. Anyway when did those exp changes apply?
Im currently playing 4.1.3 but not the latest build, maybe the one from last summer.
Old June 7, 2019, 15:09   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Changes to experience factor for races have been in the master branch for a few weeks. Of course, until 4.2 is actually released everything is experimental
Old June 8, 2019, 12:24   #6
Gauss
Apprentice

That explains many things. Now makes sense that my HE characters always get to endgame with lvl 40-43, without diving too aggresively.