Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old October 21, 2019, 21:27   #11
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Comp time?!?!?!
We're doing all the new V classes one by one with two weeks each. We've done Warrior, Priest and Mage and are in the middle of Rogue, with Necromancer scheduled in time for Halloween.

Maybe next year?
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 20:16   #12
Aszazin
Rookie

Aszazin is on a distinguished road
This looks so great!

Finally a new PCB!

Exploring dungeon level 7 right now. I don't know what happened to PCB, but I really like it a lot!

Last edited by Aszazin; October 22, 2019 at 22:02.
Aszazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2019, 07:52   #13
ster
Rookie

ster is on a distinguished road
It's shit, i'm the guy who won it first so I should know.
On the good side the randarts that function as stronger versions of ego items are great on both the "absolutely fucking busted" side and the "cool and thematic" side, and monsters following you up stairs has lead to some interesting tactical situations. M

On the bad side is how much of the spirit of poschengband has been lost. Forced progression. No way to skip the early levels, not even dragons in the wilderness. Having to slowly find the stairs on every floor of every (large) dungeon. The too-tedious-to-explore-slowly wilderness that's also just about capable of killing you with world 2 dracolisks or world 3 sky drakes. Wacky bullshit like tonberries and anime monsters are slowly being phased out entirely despite being iconic. Making AC even more important for whatever reason because of the monster damage averaging and criticals, even though it was more or less considered a "god stat" among elite players already. Chris fucking complained that healing staves were too available, so you get showered in welfare healing staves now instead. Not a single quest to break up the monotony of slowly and safely grinding to DL100, not a single exploit or broken character fixed since two years ago. Money situation regressed to pre-PCB levels - I had to buy out the black market to unload the 3 million I had endgame instead of a token bad reforge or gamble shop for consumables. The death of birth options, both difficulty based like interesting_rooms and ironman_nightmare and no_wilderness, as well as easy_lore.
Removing easy_lore is a special mix of stupidity and spite, to me. You're too stupid to realise that anyone worth their salt will play with r_info open and too spiteful to provide access to it ingame. (There's a tedium tax on waiting for psuedo-ID before 35, sure, but I have no problems with the removal of easy_ID otherwise even if I wanted to tear my hair out before autopsuedo). The list goes on, this is my fourth edit to add more to it even.

If Chris wants to show his face again and explain himself instead of posting this under a psuedononymous sockpuppet account because he's already ashamed of the two years he spent creating this garbage, he can be my guest.

Last edited by ster; October 25, 2019 at 07:59.
ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2019, 12:58   #14
Gwarl
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ster View Post
Removing easy_lore is a special mix of stupidity and spite, to me.
and was also a 7.0.0 change
Old October 25, 2019, 14:20   #15
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
I'm hesitant to speak, as I speak too much in general, but I'll take the risk.

A game whose sole fanbase is its developer can take any direction the developer likes while still pleasing its entire fanbase.

Once a developer is determined to have a fanbase for their game beyond themselves, they give up some control…

I feel like Chris is refusing to make this decision and is trying to have his cake and eat it too.
Old October 25, 2019, 16:44   #16
Gwarl
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post
I'm hesitant to speak, as I speak too much in general, but I'll take the risk.

A game whose sole fanbase is its developer can take any direction the developer likes while still pleasing its entire fanbase.

Once a developer is determined to have a fanbase for their game beyond themselves, they give up some control…

I feel like Chris is refusing to make this decision and is trying to have his cake and eat it too.
I disagree. He has very quietly made his variant available to the public after having been working on it alone for some time, hardly determination to have a fanbase.

I actually interpret that as gracious, and did not assume that the OP was Chris simply because it was their first post.

If nothing else I plan to study how the wilderness tile generation has been reworked in order to incorporate that into composband, and the recall points inside dungeons are an interesting idea.

I think this release was a positive thing and there's no need for anyone to feel affronted by it. Chris hasn't said a word and yet we're reading all kinds of things into a new version of a game that is by all rights his.

And by any rights frogcomposband players needn't feel threatened because they were players of earlier versions of poschengband, the forks are each their own animal in the same way that chengband was built upon the labour of a parade of previous developers.

Personally I am gad that the source code for this version has seen the light of day, and I say good for Chris for releasing it.
Old October 25, 2019, 16:47   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Well said, Gwarl.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2019, 16:54   #18
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Look, you all are talking about the wrong things. The thing we all need to know is: Does poschengband still have rockets?
Old October 25, 2019, 19:40   #19
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
7.1.1 may not be to everybody's taste, but I think it's good that Chris is taking his game in a new direction, instead of having Frog/Compos/Pos all trying to fill the same niche and appeal to the same people. More variety gives players more options to pick from
Old October 25, 2019, 20:32   #20
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
After spending a couple of hours in PCB 7.1.1 it is a bit of culture shock.
I was surprised at the lack of Birth options but not surprised that Virtues are forced on. Personally I despise the Virtue system as it forces a specific playstyle or the player is 'punished'.

The lack of quests is annoying, but only for being spoiled by the trend in the last few years to add more and more of them. I'm a quest addict, lol.

Tried a Monk since it was mentioned that they had been reworked, but as of L16 the changes weren't terribly apparent.

No need to feel that 7.1.1 is offensive, don't like the changes? Don't play it. I find myself leaning towards the don't play it camp so far.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote