AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 24, 2018, 21:33   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
So why do acid attacks destroy multiple objects but lightning not? Is it because arrows and scrolls are weak objects? So carrying 30 potions of CLW doesn’t help at all against losing healing potions?
You're seeing patterns that aren't there. Acid and fire destroy multiple objects more often because a) you encounter acid and fire more often, and b) you carry large quantities of acid/fire-vulnerable items, which means that any given attack has greater odds of destroying at least something.

Put another way, destroying 2% of 50 items means you'll lose 1 on average, while destroying 2% of 5 items means you'll get hit 10 times on average before anything is destroyed. Do you have 5 wands in your pack, or 50? Do you have 5 scrolls+arrows+staves in your pack, or 50?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 23:51   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
5. Wands and rods both get destroyed by lightning, but lightning's frequency at which it destroys your metal objects in your pack is *much* less than the frequency at which acid and fire destroy staves,
Wands get destroyed at the same rate as everything else, but rods are four times less likely to be destroyed. Note too that the chance of destruction is greater the more powerful the attack.
Old August 7, 2018, 17:37   #13
animal_waves
Rookie

animal_waves is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone,

Given that the OP never answered your replies and that I'm the original author of those questions (see my reddit post : https://www.reddit.com/r/angband/com..._a_new_player/), I'd like to thank you all for your insight!

Since posting those questions, I played a bit more and read this great Let's Play: https://lparchive.org/Angband/Update%2001/, which led me to my high score to date: an HT warrior CL47 dead on DL77. Unfortunately I already forgot what killed him...

My current character is promising, as I believe I'm lucky to have found the the Pair of Leather Boots of Feanor on DL41, dropped by a mage! Lesson learned: level feelings are not the only thing to take into consideration... Now, let's try to keep it alive!
The early long bow of power helped a lot in the lower levels.

Character dump: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21878
His stats are a bit messed up, thanks blindly quaffing to various potions which reduce one stat to rise up another one, but in the long run I believe it doesn't matter...

Great game, surprisingly relaxing and much less grindy and more fun since I dive quickly! Thanks to the dev(s?)!
animal_waves is offline   Reply With Quote