Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2018, 14:52   #21
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,001
fizzix is on a distinguished road
I'm not entirely convinced that it's correct that the wand/rod versions of spells do more damage than the spell version. They're certainly more efficient with regard to mana (although you can lose them to recharging.) The biggest downside to rods/wands is that they take up an inventory slot.

I think it might be interesting for the spells in Raals to scale less with level and do more flat damage.

Part of the problem is that uniques have so many more hitpoints than other monsters, so it's difficult for a mage to kill them with a limited pool.

I think there's a lot of paths forward on this. Maybe a first step would be bumping up the damage of stuff like explosion and fireball, or even reducing the mana cost further.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018, 19:14   #22
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,469
Derakon is on a distinguished road
I know there are players that want the mage to be the "I don't need to worry about weapons/consumables because I have a spell for every occasion" class, but is that really the direction we want to go in? If spells are more powerful than devices, then some of the tactics of playing a mage go away -- you just throw spells at things until they die. I mean, I guess you can make the spells so much more expensive than devices that the mage can't feasibly use spells and must supplement with devices, but that feels like it accomplishes the same effect that the boosted devices currently do, just in a more painful way.

In my opinion the guiding principle for the mage should be that they have to survive by being smart and using the best tool for the job. Sometimes that should be a spell, sometimes a wand, sometimes a bow or a sword. Ideally all of these would be competitive in different circumstances. Where we run into trouble is if one of those is dominant over the others.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018, 15:36   #23
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,001
fizzix is on a distinguished road
I think right now it's hard to find a good use for most of the spells in Raals, or damage spells in general. Part of this is due to the nonlinear nature of SP. When you find Raals you don't have enough mana to cast the spells regularly and reliably. By the time you have the SP, those spells are outclassed by other options. I guess in the grand scheme I'd be ok with a mage using spells for weaker enemies and devices for uniques and tougher enemies. Right now devices are the most damaging and the most efficient (with cheap and accessible recharging).

I also admit that your description of a "mage" aligns more with my description of a "rogue".
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018, 16:40   #24
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,563
Estie is on a distinguished road
I dont see why there shouldnt be a class whos best option to kill monsters are spells.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018, 18:00   #25
Sphara
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 76
Sphara is on a distinguished road
Mage certainly has enough firepower to kill everything without the wands. The problem reaching the endgame is finding Kelek and I believe most mages do find it before lvl99. Just based on that premise, I don't understand why mages are the strongest class with devices.

Angband lategame spells/prayers are massively powerful but some of them makes me think.. just why?? Why would you have enchantment spells that encourage to scummy behavior? I mean it's not scummy if it is in the design but jesus christ when I cast enchant/fail/rest/cast enchant on my weapons and armour I really did think I should just go with the current equipment.

Recharging spell falls into this same category. I have never ever ran outta charges of my main wands and staves reaching the endgame. Never tried to kill M with annihilation wand but if that is the most efficient way, why does this possibility even exist? Chaos strike spell kills Morgy so easy that only comparable easiness could be lvl50 ranger with HMight arrows and that scummy shooting possibility the game allows (and that Ingwe demonstrated for me)
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 03:29   #26
Moving Pictures
Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 191
Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Mordy missing

Am I clueless, or has Mordenkainen's Escapes been stripped from v4? I've been hunting for it,and then went into autoignore setup and only eight spellbooks listed? Eh?
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 03:58   #27
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,001
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
Am I clueless, or has Mordenkainen's Escapes been stripped from v4? I've been hunting for it,and then went into autoignore setup and only eight spellbooks listed? Eh?
If you haven't seen it anywhere ever, it won't show up on the autoignore list.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 09:28   #28
Grotug
Knight
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 895
Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
Am I clueless, or has Mordenkainen's Escapes been stripped from v4? I've been hunting for it,and then went into autoignore setup and only eight spellbooks listed? Eh?
Once again, this applies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Because RNG don't care a teet about giving you what you need.
__________________
Detailed account of my Ironman win here.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2018, 06:34   #29
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,173
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Mage certainly has enough firepower to kill everything without the wands. The problem reaching the endgame is finding Kelek and I believe most mages do find it before lvl99. Just based on that premise, I don't understand why mages are the strongest class with devices.

Angband lategame spells/prayers are massively powerful but some of them makes me think.. just why?? Why would you have enchantment spells that encourage to scummy behavior? I mean it's not scummy if it is in the design but jesus christ when I cast enchant/fail/rest/cast enchant on my weapons and armour I really did think I should just go with the current equipment.

Recharging spell falls into this same category. I have never ever ran outta charges of my main wands and staves reaching the endgame. Never tried to kill M with annihilation wand but if that is the most efficient way, why does this possibility even exist? Chaos strike spell kills Morgy so easy that only comparable easiness could be lvl50 ranger with HMight arrows and that scummy shooting possibility the game allows (and that Ingwe demonstrated for me)
Given I'm currently going through a rework of classes, what do people think about having two arcane classes, one with powerful spells and one which primarily uses devices, and gets spells to enhance that?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2018, 07:02   #30
Carnivean
Knight
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 505
Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Given I'm currently going through a rework of classes, what do people think about having two arcane classes, one with powerful spells and one which primarily uses devices, and gets spells to enhance that?
It would depend on the implementation, but I would be for it. When I play mages I have always ignored devices.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am too stupid to use gdb with Angband. TricksterWolf Development 2 July 6, 2013 17:15
It was so stupid... lenrok Vanilla 10 January 24, 2013 07:23
Some newbie questions about Angband types Anne Variants 7 February 28, 2008 03:44
Three stupid Unangband questions FV20X6 Variants 3 October 31, 2007 18:31
very newbie questions on angband and unangband Halloween Jack Vanilla 5 October 20, 2007 08:04


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.