Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 9, 2016, 16:35   #1
Fiquin
Rookie

Fiquin is on a distinguished road
Epic Ringil Drops

The one and only 'Ringil' dropped for me from Mughash the Kobold Lord on depth '400 (lvl8). Only a '4' level feeling too.

If anyone wants to post some crazy drops for Ringil or any other artifact please do. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this game rolls... will I OP the dungeon or die from overconfidence?

Last question, is this a record early drop? Anyone score Ringil earlier in the game?
Fiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016, 18:13   #2
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Monster drops dont count towards level rating and that might be the earliest Ringil. Congrats!
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016, 20:20   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The RNG has judged you a worthy acolyte. Now show it proper worship, and go on to an epic win. (Cliff stamp's win comes to mind with a drop like this: 89K game turns in NPP, small levels, with a crazy randart broadsword.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiquin View Post
The one and only 'Ringil' dropped for me from Mughash the Kobold Lord on depth '400 (lvl8). Only a '4' level feeling too.

If anyone wants to post some crazy drops for Ringil or any other artifact please do. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this game rolls... will I OP the dungeon or die from overconfidence?

Last question, is this a record early drop? Anyone score Ringil earlier in the game?
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016, 06:44   #4
brbrbr
Adept

brbrbr is on a distinguished road
Rod of Speed on dl2.
1-9 level feeling.
My human priest had ~70% fail rate on that rod, so it took me a while before rod became useable.

Thanks RNG, good RNG!
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016, 22:16   #5
hein
Rookie

hein is on a distinguished road
Had this today:

q) the Long Sword 'Ringil' (4d5) (+22,+25) <+10, +1>
Dropped by a Young black dragon at 1550 feet (level 31)

This is my third time finding Ringil. Both times I was killed pretty quickly. This time I got to play with it for a long while. Until I found Deathwrecker
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2016, 03:59   #6
Fiquin
Rookie

Fiquin is on a distinguished road
I may be worthy however I am still an acolyte... at least with all non-warrior classes.

This epic Rngl drop was for a Ranger and I've been playing a Ranger ever since but can't get past the mid game. Once I'm past the mid 30's depth-wise then a variety of monsters breath all sorts of nonsense and Rangers are lucky to have 250 HP at that point. Even with all the necessary resist gear if I don't pay very careful attention to what beasts are in LOS something has one-shotted me or I phased door into a pack of hell hounds... the mid 30's often has monsters from the mid to high 40's... that's the problem

I beat the game with a Warrior... however every other class just doesn't have the HP to take a single surprise mid-game.

I imagine more awareness and more teleporting will eventually score me a win with the other classes... crossing my fingers... again!
Fiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016, 06:33   #7
A Magical Lamp
Rookie

A Magical Lamp is on a distinguished road
Not ringil but I had 4 dungeon prayer books by 2000. Which I then lost due to a spectacularly stupid decision involving Vargo
A Magical Lamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016, 11:52   #8
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Magical Lamp View Post
Not ringil but I had 4 dungeon prayer books by 2000. Which I then lost due to a spectacularly stupid decision involving Vargo
Huh? Dungeon books are immune to fire, so how did Vargo manage to destroy them? This immunity is also why you don't need to carry multiple copies of dungeon books. They can be stolen by thieves if @ dex is too low. Other than that, you'd have to drop them to lose them.

Hence using auto-inscriptions to help ensure you don't accidentally do that, (in addition to making casting more secure). E.g., @m1@b1@G1!v!k!d, @m2@b2@G2!v!k!d, .... @m9@b9@G9!v!k!d. Meaning, use book # for magic, for browsing, for gaining spells, get confirmation before throwing, destroying, or dropping.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016, 14:09   #9
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I suspect he means he lost the game, though I agree his phrasing makes it sound otherwise.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016, 15:40   #10
A Magical Lamp
Rookie

A Magical Lamp is on a distinguished road
Yeah Vargo killed me. Never actually lost a dungeon book before, even if a rogue gets lucky I'll hunt it to the ends of the earth.
A Magical Lamp is offline   Reply With Quote