Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 31, 2017, 07:11   #11
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
There is something slightly off in the damage calculations shown for weapons. The damage per blow amounts shown can change depending on whether viewed while @ has equipped the weapon, or whether viewed while in @'s pack. It used to be that the damage information shown was identical whether equipped or in pack, because any stat modifications, etc., from the weapon were taken into account as if equipped. Somehow, this nuance got lost in some of the coding changes for 4.1.2.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018, 18:21   #12
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
traps do not give XP until @ is down to DL5. however, if you reach DL5 AND THEN go back, all traps will give XP, even on DL1.
Old January 2, 2018, 11:36   #13
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
There is something slightly off in the damage calculations shown for weapons. The damage per blow amounts shown can change depending on whether viewed while @ has equipped the weapon, or whether viewed while in @'s pack. It used to be that the damage information shown was identical whether equipped or in pack, because any stat modifications, etc., from the weapon were taken into account as if equipped. Somehow, this nuance got lost in some of the coding changes for 4.1.2.
What if the weapon itself provides stat bonuses? Or is examined while wielding another weapon with stat bonuses?
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018, 12:27   #14
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
What if the weapon itself provides stat bonuses? Or is examined while wielding another weapon with stat bonuses?
The code "wields" the weapon to display its stats, so it shouldn't matter. Is the weapon fully identified?
Old January 4, 2018, 01:35   #15
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
The code "wields" the weapon to display its stats, so it shouldn't matter. Is the weapon fully identified?
Yes, fully identified. I swear it's a bug, but maybe I'm wrong. However, the blow/damage information is different depending on wielding versus in the pack. It didn't used to be this way. I'm wondering if the bug was introduced in the December 9, 2017 commit or earlier?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
Old January 4, 2018, 16:50   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
At level 50 with decent CON you may be regenerating more damage than it deals, leading to apparently no damage taken. Fire vortices don't have much health, thus weak breath weapons.

This is similar to how high-level mages can cast Magic Missile "for free" because they recover more than 1SP per turn.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018, 16:52   #17
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Yea, deleted my post after some more testing.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2018, 21:45   #18
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
traps do not give XP until @ is down to DL5. however, if you reach DL5 AND THEN go back, all traps will give XP, even on DL1.
I can't reproduce this, and I can't see anything in the code that would make it happen.

Quote:
Yes, fully identified. I swear it's a bug, but maybe I'm wrong. However, the blow/damage information is different depending on wielding versus in the pack. It didn't used to be this way. I'm wondering if the bug was introduced in the December 9, 2017 commit or earlier?
This whole piece of code has been causing issues for some time - the first problem was that it behaved badly when player stats were drained, and subsequent "fixes" have kept introducing new problems. I will file this as a bug.
Old January 7, 2018, 17:15   #19
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I can't reproduce this, and I can't see anything in the code that would make it happen.

This whole piece of code has been causing issues for some time - the first problem was that it behaved badly when player stats were drained, and subsequent "fixes" have kept introducing new problems. I will file this as a bug.
An easy test: Use wizard to generate a @ with Sting and with a regular extra attacks weapon. Wield one and compare the other in the pack. The in-pack weapon damage shown is erroneously benefiting from stat improvements of the wielded weapon. Or even comparing on the ground before picking up the weapon. This is a real pain in the butt. To accurately determine which weapon to wield, one must equip each weapon, as the in-pack or on-ground information is wrong.

Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; January 7, 2018 at 17:40.
Old January 7, 2018, 20:01   #20
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
An easy test: Use wizard to generate a @ with Sting and with a regular extra attacks weapon. Wield one and compare the other in the pack. The in-pack weapon damage shown is erroneously benefiting from stat improvements of the wielded weapon. Or even comparing on the ground before picking up the weapon. This is a real pain in the butt. To accurately determine which weapon to wield, one must equip each weapon, as the in-pack or on-ground information is wrong.
It was Sky's trap thing that I couldn't reproduce. The only reason I haven't reproduced the weapon description thing is that I haven't tried yet