Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 8, 2018, 13:59   #21
TauzentBlitz
Rookie

TauzentBlitz is on a distinguished road
When I first started an Alchemist, the "Lvl" listed in the infusions menu was, I assumed, character level. But then I noticed that Cure serious potions level was in green instead of red despite my character level being too low and I could copy them.

Is it supposed to be Alchemist Skill %? Might want to change the "Lvl" to skill % or something to make that more obvious.

Hey, I was mentioned in the patch notes. Neat.
TauzentBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2018, 04:11   #22
Mocht
Swordsman

Mocht is on a distinguished road
This is the second time I have found a can of toys, the first time I died before opening it
Is there a suggested minimum dungeon level to open a can of toys on so as not to waste it
Mocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2018, 13:20   #23
Sideways
Adept

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
This is the second time I have found a can of toys, the first time I died before opening it
Is there a suggested minimum dungeon level to open a can of toys on so as not to waste it
The way cans of toys are supposed to work, it shouldn't make any difference, since the level of objects will be determined based on the level of the can of toys itself and not based on where you open it.
In practice it does make some difference, because standart generation is based on dungeon level rather than object level, so you're more likely to get standarts if you open it deeper (and the standarts you get, if any, will be better). I should probably change that, though doing so is not as easy as it sounds.

There are very few standarts with native level >80, and even fewer with native level >90; so once you're at 4500', there isn't much point to waiting any further before you open your can of toys. (Or if you don't care about standarts, you can open it much earlier.)
Old June 9, 2018, 15:46   #24
TauzentBlitz
Rookie

Anyone know what a good race/personality combination might be for alchemists? I'm currently using a Craven Shadow Fairy for maximum stealth and good ranged combat. The Trouble at home quest guarantees potions of booze and boldness so I have both a good confusion effect to keep enemies away and a cure for fear right from the start.

Random thought: Alchemists with the no_sell flag on might be a too good if you can just Alchemy away the equipment you can't sell anymore. I don't know how the Alchemy skill works yet though, so I dunno.

Last edited by TauzentBlitz; June 9, 2018 at 16:12.
Old June 9, 2018, 16:08   #25
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauzentBlitz View Post
Random thought: Alchemists with the no_sell flag on might be a little silly. I don't know how the Alchemy skill works yet though, so I dunno.
Heh, a little silly would be something like an Android Monk, between the weight and slot limitations I am not sure you could even hit L50.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2018, 16:27   #26
Sideways
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauzentBlitz View Post
Random thought: Alchemists with the no_sell flag on might be a too good if you can just Alchemy away the equipment you can't sell anymore. I don't know how the Alchemy skill works yet though, so I dunno.
Alchemy gives less gold per item with no_selling on. It is still a very useful skill with no_selling on, but it actually comes a lot closer to being "too good" with no_selling off.
Old June 9, 2018, 23:31   #27
grodrigues
Rookie

grodrigues is on a distinguished road
Another newb question. My weaponsmith is beginner in maces and xbows, but the character sheet says +5 bonus to hit for the melee mace weapon and +13 to the xbow. Is this correct? And if yes, what is the rationale for the +10 to ranged weapons for same skill level?

Last edited by grodrigues; June 9, 2018 at 23:32. Reason: add missing words.
grodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2018, 23:55   #28
Mocht
Swordsman

Mocht is on a distinguished road
I seem to first encounter big vaults at dungeon depth 60, is that the shallowest depth that they can appear
Mocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 00:43   #29
Sideways
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodrigues View Post
Another newb question. My weaponsmith is beginner in maces and xbows, but the character sheet says +5 bonus to hit for the melee mace weapon and +13 to the xbow. Is this correct? And if yes, what is the rationale for the +10 to ranged weapons for same skill level?
Crossbows have a flatter proficiency scale than everything except crossbows. The normal scale goes from -20 to +20, but the crossbow scale goes from +0 to +20.

I'm not sure why that is (it was like that when I got here), though I do believe that historically, the main military advantage of the crossbow was indeed that it didn't require very much training (unlike its direct rival the longbow).
Old June 10, 2018, 01:36   #30
TauzentBlitz
Rookie

My alchemist is gaining temporary telepathy every time I look at a potion of enlightenment? Noticed it when I first examined one in the black market.

Tags
frogcomposband