AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 14, 2018, 02:23   #51
Mocht
Swordsman

Mocht is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Being blasted by psionic energy is a spell that dates from Vanilla, and is harmful to both magical and mundane characters. Assuming FrogCom doesn't change things, the only defense is your standard saving throw, so e.g. an amulet of antimagic would be helpful, as would improving your WIS score.
Thanks, I was afraid of that
An anti-magic amulet on a spellcaster: I like that imaginative thinking
Mocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 02:41   #52
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
With weapons bonuses and dual wielding, half the bonus is applied to each weapon, so each weapon gets (0.5, 1.5) from the new gloves
And with the displayed weapon damage, I think it runs many simulations and takes an average, so the displayed damage can vary a bit
Thanks, it just seemed odd that it didn't change the main hand at all, and had a major effect on the offhand.
I know with rings they only affect the matching Hand. ie. A Ring of Combat +Dmg on the right hand only affects the right-hand weapon.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 03:20   #53
Mocht
Swordsman

Escaping a dangerous situation in the wilderness by reading a scroll of teleport level: is that an exploit/bug, because you are not going up or down in the wilderness dungeon, you leave the wilderness
Old June 16, 2018, 09:07   #54
Mocht
Swordsman

• Could gloves of slaying with no slays on them have a different name to gloves of slaying with slays on them, so that the former can be auto-destroyed without harming the later
  • With the mauler skills critical blow and crushing blow, instead of the messages saying "You attack x" would it be better if it said "You use crushing blow on x"
  • I think there is a problem with the daily bounty monster, sometimes the wanted monster is much lower level than the previous monster
  • If a mean mercenary is within sight as you enter an inn and rest then it is in that same position as you exit the inn after resting, is that a bug
  • I think there is a problem with Angband quests such as "Kill 10 x's", because as it stands you could kill them one at a time, leaving the level each time; this could be stopped by resetting the counter to 0 each time the level is left before completion, but if this happens then the level is able to be farmed infinitely
  • With monks, taking off a weapon they feel uncomfortable with and thus fighting unarmed triggers the message "You feel comfortable with your weapon"
  • When fighting unarmed, should monks have a similar message to "You love your weapon", such as "You love fighting unarmed"
  • When all the spells in a book have been learned and you attempt to learn another it says "You cannot learn any spells in that book", would it be better if it said something like "You have learned all the spells in that book"
  • When attempting to learn a spell in a book and the non-learnt spells are too high level, it says "You cannot learn any spells in that book", would it be better if it said "The unlearnt spells in this book are too high a level for you to learn"
  • Bounty quest rewards, should character with no SP (and Rune-Knights) not receive a potion of restore mana; do berserkers receive scrolls as bounty quest rewards
  • Should the to-hit display for unarmed combat be the same as for armed combat, in particular should it show chance to hit AC 175
  • Could the weights of items in the home be displayed in the character sheet
  • The cure poison spell reduces rather than cures, should the name be changed, similarly for the mushroom
  • In the auto-destroyer can add "favorite weapons" to pick up all favourite weapons, could the not operator be introduced, so that to destroy all non-favourite weapons you could add "!not(favorite weapons)"
  • In the autodestroyer there is an operator "more weight than", could there be implemented an operator "less weight than"
  • How does drunk master work, info says a monk "may be a drunk master", I tried it a few times and all it did was cause confusion and hallucination
  • ""Empty" barbarian talismans with nothing on them should no longer generate" - I found a Barbarian talisman which had nothing except -1 Int (it wasn't cursed), was that supposed to be precluded
  • I completed the quest "Clear the tunnels" and rested a lot in the quest, when I exited the quest the entrance was once again blocked by rubble, is that a bug
  • There is an inconsistency in the display in http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21740, one item says 'dropped by level guardian', another says 'dropped by Mephistopheles', and he was a level guardian, could it say 'Dropped by Mephistopheles, guardian of Angband level 78'
  • Is it intended that axemasters don't receive the top tier enchanting service at Fighter's Hall, a service that, for instance, Mauler's receive
  • Axemasters receive a blade of chaos as a reward for the 'Sand pit' quest
  • Feature request: Classes similar to the Arcane Blade and Shadowblade classes in Tome 4
  • To auto-pickup artifacts you need to enter "artifact" in the autodestroyer, for it to be consistent with the other commands in the autodestroyer it would need to be "artifacts"

Last edited by Mocht; June 16, 2018 at 11:29.
Old June 16, 2018, 13:37   #55
Sideways
Adept

Sideways is on a distinguished road
A few quick notes:

- Mushrooms of cure poison do cure all poison.
- Potions of restore mana are very useful even to no-SP classes (other than berserkers) because they partially recharge devices. I routinely take potions of restore mana to the Serpent fight on characters with no SP.
- Barbarian talismans with -1 INT are okay, they are not empty.
- Everyone receives a blade of chaos for sand pit. You don't need to individually report every class it's useless to because it's useless to everybody, barring a really lucky ego or artifact roll.
Old June 16, 2018, 13:51   #56
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

Just a curiosity thing, but is there somewhere that documents the difference in the various attack messages?
Hit and Miss are of course obvious. What about 'Good hit', 'Great Hit', 'Gouge', 'Backsatb', 'Cut half through', etc? Are these messages simple color, or do they have meaning? And if so what meaning?
Old June 16, 2018, 15:14   #57
Mocht
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
Just a curiosity thing, but is there somewhere that documents the difference in the various attack messages?
Hit and Miss are of course obvious. What about 'Good hit', 'Great Hit', 'Gouge', 'Backsatb', 'Cut half through', etc? Are these messages simple color, or do they have meaning? And if so what meaning?
The following is my opinion, hopefully it is reasonably accurate

Critical hits are multipliers, "Good hit", "Great hit" and "*GREAT* hit" are criticals, each has a higher multiplier than the previous
Sharp/vorpal weapons apply a multiplier to the base damage of the weapon, "You have gouged him", "You have cut him in half!" are vorpal criticals, each with a higher multiplier than the base, and the latter with a higher multiplier than the former
The effects of the multipliers are more visible on a 6d8 weapon than on a 1d6 weapon

It may be that, because of the way armour works, criticals are especially helpful against opponents with high AC
Old June 16, 2018, 15:24   #58
Mocht
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
- Mushrooms of cure poison do cure all poison.
- Potions of restore mana are very useful even to no-SP classes (other than berserkers) because they partially recharge devices. I routinely take potions of restore mana to the Serpent fight on characters with no SP
Thanks, I had forgotten the effectiveness of mushrooms and keep forgetting the recharging of potions of restore mana

The changes to poison and invisibility (at least for many of the characters that I play) require more consumeables to counter: it could be argued that it is more tactical in that you have to make more decisions about what to have in your inventory, and it could be argued that it is more irritating, in that for most of the game, as you (well, me anyway) slowly build up your equipment, you have to recall endlessly because you simply have so little room in your inventory for anything

Last edited by Mocht; June 16, 2018 at 15:37.
Old June 16, 2018, 15:38   #59
Mocht
Swordsman

Perhaps the endless recalling could be resolved in the following way:
Characters have an active and a passive inventory, the active inventory is small and the passive inventory is big, only items in the active inventory can be wielded or activated, any item picked up is put into the active inventory, a player can choose to transfer something from the active inventory to the passive inventory, if something is in the passive inventory then the player can only access it when the player is at home, all items in the active and passive inventories are subject to standard item destruction (do weight limits need to apply to the passive inventory?)
Old June 16, 2018, 16:24   #60
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
The following is my opinion, hopefully it is reasonably accurate

Critical hits are multipliers, "Good hit", "Great hit" and "*GREAT* hit" are criticals, each has a higher multiplier than the previous
Sharp/vorpal weapons apply a multiplier to the base damage of the weapon, "You have gouged him", "You have cut him in half!" are vorpal criticals, each with a higher multiplier than the base, and the latter with a higher multiplier than the former
The effects of the multipliers are more visible on a 6d8 weapon than on a 1d6 weapon

It may be that, because of the way armour works, criticals are especially helpful against opponents with high AC
Thank you. that matched my gut feelings about them, but without seeing an actual damage number, (ie. You hit for 42, 21 after armor. etc) it is hard to rate efficacy of weapons.

Tags
frogcomposband