Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 21, 2019, 09:40   #341
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid I have to say that I'm finding my current necromancer pretty frustrating to play; at CL21, DL16, I have to run away from the vast majority of fights.

Mana pool is too small (INT 17) and nether bolt damage is too low to go the distance against anything other than weak solo monsters. I know disenchant, but with only enough mana to cast it twice at 43% fail, that's no use. I end up playing as a weak melee character now, and bad at that.

Almost everything "resists somewhat" against nether bolt; what does that mean exactly?

Necromancer may get powerful later, but lemures and middle-management orcs are laughing now...
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2019, 09:55   #342
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
Almost everything "resists somewhat" against nether bolt; what does that mean exactly?
Anything that is evil resists nether:

undead - 0 damage
IM_NETHER - takes 1/2 to 1/4 damage
Evil - takes 1/2 damage

Note this system was made for a game where the player never used nether, where monsters only took Nether damage from friendly fire. It has been changed in CPB (good change in my opinion). I'm not sure that the lowly kobold tanking nether bolts actually makes sense.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2019, 23:30   #343
fph
Veteran

fph is on a distinguished road
What do necromancers wear in the light source slot? Maybe there could be a non-artifact item such as a "lantern of unlight" that they can use with some advantage?

EDIT: also, I guess it would be thematic if necromancers resisted darkness.

Last edited by fph; April 22, 2019 at 12:51.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2019, 23:54   #344
Diego Gonzalez
Adept

Diego Gonzalez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
I'm afraid I have to say that I'm finding my current necromancer pretty frustrating to play; at CL21, DL16, I have to run away from the vast majority of fights.
I used a good bow in the early levels until disenchant became more useful (quite fast actually). Elemental rings help a lot too. The bat shapeshift is quite handy for escape and stealth.

In that stage the necro has to use plenty of extra-resources to level up. I dont think that it's a bad thing, but anyway, I suggest that noxious fumes should get a power boost. The druid has a poison ball spell that is nicer and cheap, 2 sp.

I lost my necro savefile, but it was a killing machine. Just be careful with mobs.
Diego Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019, 05:00   #345
Chud
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Gonzalez View Post
I lost my necro savefile, but it was a killing machine. Just be careful with mobs.
I haven't played a necro yet that was anywhere near a killing machine... but maybe using a half-troll doesn't work as well, since that effectively caps INT at 17 until I get deep enough to start getting boosts through gear and potions.

My most recent one died to a huorn (which had been summoned by a Q) which kept teleporting me back to it as I tried to escape. Possibly it was just a bad RNG game too.
Old April 22, 2019, 18:44   #346
fph
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
What do necromancers wear in the light source slot? Maybe there could be a non-artifact item such as a "lantern of unlight" that they can use with some advantage?
OK, probably someone has already explained this, but I'm confused. How does the new light mechanic work with necromancers? I just found a phial with +3 light, and even if I wear it I am still in darkness, apparently.
Old April 22, 2019, 18:51   #347
Chud
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
OK, probably someone has already explained this, but I'm confused. How does the new light mechanic work with necromancers? I just found a phial with +3 light, and even if I wear it I am still in darkness, apparently.
As far as I can tell, necromancers see in the dark, and they naturally project an aura of dark around them for a certain level-dependent radius. This is not strong enough to darken part of a lighted room, but it does work against any light source you equip.

So, your natural darkness will make an equipped light source not work, but in addition, the light source will actually *reduce* how far you can naturally see in the dark.

Until/unless some necromancer-specific items exist to fill that slot, best to leave the light source equipment slot empty, unless perhaps you find an artifact with enough other benefits to be worth the tradeoff.
Old April 22, 2019, 21:13   #348
fph
Veteran

Thanks! And how do these light sources affect fail rate? It seems that the randart phial I have found still raises my fail rate, even if it doesn't cast light around the room. Maybe it reduces me to radius-0 light? Is there a way to know how much 'dark/light aura' I project?
Old April 23, 2019, 05:03   #349
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
Yeah !Experience should restore before increasing as all other stat potions do. Otherwise it would be wasting them.
I must disagree. Stat potions are far less powerful or valuable than !Experience. I see no good reason to further increase their power. If @ has been exp drained, then find a !restore life levels first if you don't want to take the reduction in the !experience effectiveness.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 05:05   #350
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
!Experience is also considerably more rare, so it stands to reason that it'd be more powerful. Plus, if you are experience-drained when you find the potion, having to find !RLL before you drink it just becomes one of those little things that veterans know to do but will trip up newbies. I guess there's some small chance that you'll lose the !EXP before you find !RLL, but that doesn't feel particularly interesting to me.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote