Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old August 5, 2011, 01:03   #1
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
[3.3.0] Dracolisks in red dragon pits ?

Just lost a promising priest to Dracolisks mimicing as red dragons. Late endgame, found armor with fire immunity and soon after a red dragon pit. opened it and went to work, keeping one eye on hit points and another on inroads from other parts of the map, suddenly "you died.", killed by Dracolisk.
I had noticed them on monster list, but assumed they were part of Ancalagons entourage which was at some point in my detection range, but shut in in a GV with perma walls. They must have been in the dragon mix from the red pit unless Im very much mistaken.

While the new undetectable mimics are great ("this scroll of *Acquirement* is actually a mimic!" got me laughing), I strongly dislike this other type of mimicry. At least on my Vista screen that has the most horrible colouring of all my computers, Dracolisks and Great hell wyrms look the same, both oscillating their colours. Whats more, it happens in a part of the spectrum (dark red, dark brown is the worst) where I have to strain my eyes to see it at all.

So Ill have to change Dracolisks to something that doesnt look like a red dragon, but thinking about it, I really dont want anything to oscillate at all. If a hell wyrm looks exactly like an ancient red, thats fine, they have a similar threat profile. Is there a way to do that ? With uniques, I can pick the option to display all as purple which I am happy with. What does "animate flicker" do when turned to "yes".

Also: the option to toggle special symbol for stacks display seems to have gone, which I only mind because it is stuck on the wrong default now :P
I guess chances for that to go back are slim ?
I did my best to try and get used to the &&&s littering the floor, but it just looks wrong. Sorry
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 01:14   #2
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Play with tiles. Tiles rock.
Old August 5, 2011, 01:32   #3
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Play with tiles. Tiles rock.
Been there. Done that. No thanks.
Old August 5, 2011, 04:18   #4
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
dracolisks in red dragon pits are thematically good but in some sense problematic because for god knows what reason they're considered to be 10 levels less powerful than great hell wyrms (they have the same HP and dracolisks breathe nexus in addition to fire, go figure)

watch out for dracolich's in ice dragon pits also. Sometimes those pits will have to be avoided, which is a shame, because dragon pits are usually worth piles and piles of gold.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 08:27   #5
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
dracolisks in red dragon pits are thematically good
Um, no, they aren't even pure dragons but basilisk/dragon hybrids and as such they should have 'H' as their symbol. Dracolich OTOH is a dragon, just undead one, maybe White Dragon pit could contain those. If we have Dracolisks in RedDP then Dracolich belongs in WhiteDP. How about Blue and Black? We don't have anything really nasty for those. Do we have GreenDP? Drolems there?

BTW, noticed that Great Wyrm of Perplexity, bronze dragonfly and all the bronze dragons are still in game. Confusion was removed from resistances, so those should go away too (Ethereal Dragon confusion breath has been removed already).

[EDIT], now that I looked at the pit.txt, it looks like WhiteDP will have dracolichs. They are ancient dragons, they breathe cold, and they do not breathe fire.

Last edited by Timo Pietilä; August 5, 2011 at 08:34.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 15:12   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
[EDIT], now that I looked at the pit.txt, it looks like WhiteDP will have dracolichs. They are ancient dragons, they breathe cold, and they do not breathe fire.
Exactly. People should be careful about the concepts of "dragon pit" that they may have in their head which may now be out of date. Pits can contain whatever's specified in pit.txt, so a pit full of stuff that looks like red dragons could be simply a bunch of things that breathe fire - with no restrictions on what else they might breathe.
Old August 5, 2011, 18:10   #7
Estie
Veteran

I dont mind having the monotonous unicolour dragon pits spiced up at all, quite to the contrary. What I do mind is populating them with different things that look as similar as can be. Something like fire-red Ds for the dragons and nexus-pink Ds for the ´lisks would work, or maybe change the symbol of the latter to H. Anything, just dont let "thematic" become a "guess the monster"-game.

Anyway...might be just me and my stupid system, maybe everyone else has no problems distinguishing between a great hell wyrm and a dracolisk.

So Im going to try to re-colour my monsters, or, failing that, switching to tiles as last option. My memories of the Zang-days where tiles became popular are not fond though.
Old August 5, 2011, 18:58   #8
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I like that pits are more interesting now, but you should definitely be able to tell dangerous monsters apart from safe ones if they're going to be appearing together a lot.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 19:12   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It's certainly true that when you see a giant list of red dragons, you expect that all of them would be fire-only. Slotting Dracolisks in there is therefore a nasty little gotcha.

I wouldn't mind changing Dracolisks to H, but such a fix doesn't handle the nigh-identical Dracolich problem. Those should definitely be Ds.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 21:38   #10
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
BTW, noticed that Great Wyrm of Perplexity, bronze dragonfly and all the bronze dragons are still in game. Confusion was removed from resistances, so those should go away too (Ethereal Dragon confusion breath has been removed already).
They're still in monster.txt for some reason (i'm not sure exactly), but they're constrained to not appear in the game by some mechanism that I haven't quite figured out yet.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote