Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2012, 12:36   #11
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,400
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Hmm a mage eh? They are by far my weakest class, I die more often with mages than anything else. But that could be good to show anyway. I find mages are slower paced than other classes in the beginning, but maybe that's ok? I can do the quick paced tank next.

I guess I could always go high elf (shudder).
You don't need to go high elf for mage... that's the most obvious choice but not the most clever (huge xp penalty). A gnome mage is probably the best choice to demonstrate mages (although you will get very low hps). The hard start is quickly compensated by the fact that you will level from the spells you learn.
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2012, 13:21   #12
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,001
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
You don't need to go high elf for mage... that's the most obvious choice but not the most clever (huge xp penalty). A gnome mage is probably the best choice to demonstrate mages (although you will get very low hps). The hard start is quickly compensated by the fact that you will level from the spells you learn.
It's usually the low hit dice that land me in trouble. It takes a long time until you can survive a *resisted* breath with a gnome mage, forget about all the 150 HP curse monsters (nether wraiths, emperor wights, black knights, master vampires etc.).
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2012, 14:14   #13
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,400
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
It's usually the low hit dice that land me in trouble. It takes a long time until you can survive a *resisted* breath with a gnome mage, forget about all the 150 HP curse monsters (nether wraiths, emperor wights, black knights, master vampires etc.).
Yeah, as gnome mage you need to pick your fights carefully. The early game is hard to extremely hard depending on your playstyle (basically it depends on whether you choose to stairscum or not). Once you're level 8, you recall, buy books 2 and 3, learn a few carefully chosen spells, reach level 11 by doing so and get free ID. Then everything comes to how fast you can pump INT and CON up with items and potions of Toughness/Intellect. Having starting CON of 15 at level 30 will leave you with 150 hps (if you're lucky!) and pretty much no chance to survive to stat gain...
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2012, 14:35   #14
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,001
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Yeah, as gnome mage you need to pick your fights carefully. The early game is hard to extremely hard depending on your playstyle (basically it depends on whether you choose to stairscum or not). Once you're level 8, you recall, buy books 2 and 3, learn a few carefully chosen spells, reach level 11 by doing so and get free ID. Then everything comes to how fast you can pump INT and CON up with items and potions of Toughness/Intellect. Having starting CON of 15 at level 30 will leave you with 150 hps (if you're lucky!) and pretty much no chance to survive to stat gain...
Stair-scumming is out of the question. Disconnected stairs is a must for me. Everything else just feels wrong. I've taken hobbit mages down to Morgoth (and lost!) so I know I can do it, it just always feels slow. Maybe I'll do gnome, maybe high elf. At least I'll try a mage, and we'll see how far we get.

My last mage should've won but he did the ole, "slaughter a bunch of cold hounds, don't pay attention, get breathed on twice by an un-esp-able bronze golem, trick"
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2012, 13:44   #15
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,400
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Stair-scumming is out of the question. Disconnected stairs is a must for me. Everything else just feels wrong.
Thought so. This only means staying at 50ft until you're level 4 and you have at least a sling and 40 shots. And resting a lot for mana...

I've started such a char (v3.4 gnome mage, no selling, disconnected stairs), and didn't have trouble reaching level 11 quite quickly (with a good 51 hps at that level). After that, it's just a matter of avoiding what you cannot kill (equipping rings of the mouse with high + to stealth helps a lot) and managing your mana pool properly.
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.