Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2014, 17:28   #1
dhegler
Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 249
dhegler is on a distinguished road
Monster Weaknesses

I do not follow this as often as I used to, but has their ever been any talk of making certain elements MORE effective on certain monsters, like give a 50% bonus to fire brands and spells on white dragons, or 50% bonus to electrical brands and spells on water-based creatures?

I like the most recent versions of vanilla where slow/sleep/confuse monster spells and items seem to have better effect than they used to. I just always wondered why certain monsters don't have additional weaknesses when their (relative) opposite element/brand is used against them... If they can be immune/resist certain attacks, why not let it go the other way too...
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014, 17:58   #2
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
This is already in the game. Try using a cold attack against a hydra, or a fire attack against a vampire, mummy, or zombie. Search for "HURT_" in monster.txt and monster_base.txt to find monsters with elemental weaknesses.

Currently the only weaknesses appear to be to cold, fire, light, and Stone to Mud, though. And the latter two have been around for ages.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014, 05:15   #3
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,023
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
This is already in the game. Try using a cold attack against a hydra, or a fire attack against a vampire, mummy, or zombie. Search for "HURT_" in monster.txt and monster_base.txt to find monsters with elemental weaknesses.

Currently the only weaknesses appear to be to cold, fire, light, and Stone to Mud, though. And the latter two have been around for ages.
Now that HURT_FIRE and HURT_COLD have been around for a while, I think it might be worthwhile to consider adding more hurt flags. I really like how the hurt flags make keeping fire and cold damage around in order to deal with some tricky monsters (hydras and vampires most importantly). So it adds quite a bit to the inventory management game.

HURT_ACID could be used for golems and creeping coins
HURT_ELEC could be used for the beholders

We could also consider things like.

HURT_BLUNT
HURT_EDGE
HURT_STAB

for blunt weapons, swords and polearms respectively. We could also imagine the reverse. So that jellies could be protected against blunt weapon damage, and skeletons against stab damage.

I should think about this more.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014, 11:27   #4
Quendus
Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 32
Quendus is on a distinguished road
I've conducted a few ad-hoc bowl experiments and determined that jelly is protected fron stab damage and weak against blunt damage. However, it also gets free attacks when blunt attacks crit.
Quendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014, 14:52   #5
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
HURT_ACID could be used for golems and creeping coins
HURT_ELEC could be used for the beholders
I like these, but I suspect even with HURT_ELEC beholders won't be worth fighting unless you have a lightning-branded weapon or Arrows of Shocking; there just aren't any good spells/wands of ranged lightning damage.

Quote:
We could also consider things like.

HURT_BLUNT
HURT_EDGE
HURT_STAB

for blunt weapons, swords and polearms respectively. We could also imagine the reverse. So that jellies could be protected against blunt weapon damage, and skeletons against stab damage.

I should think about this more.
This I'm less certain about, because changing your melee damage type requires carrying swap weapons. Currently most characters don't need any swap gear, or if they do it's only one item; if we did this, then all characters that participate in melee would feel some obligation to carry two swap weapons. Also, presumably monsters that are stab-resistant would be protected against arrows and bolts (thematically, doing otherwise doesn't make sense), which is a major problem for rangers.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014, 00:46   #6
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,023
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I like these, but I suspect even with HURT_ELEC beholders won't be worth fighting unless you have a lightning-branded weapon or Arrows of Shocking; there just aren't any good spells/wands of ranged lightning damage.
Right now I never fight beholders anyway...

Carrying swap items to deal with various enemy types is somewhat interesting (as I've learned from Sil). Also, because of the nature of Angband, there's no need to ensure that all characters can handle all enemies. Rather you choose your gear so that you can handle the largest subset of enemies. (or if you dive... you choose so that you can handle a specific type of enemy very well and then seek them out, avoiding the rest).
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014, 01:03   #7
Patashu
Knight
 
Patashu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 526
Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
This I'm less certain about, because changing your melee damage type requires carrying swap weapons. Currently most characters don't need any swap gear, or if they do it's only one item; if we did this, then all characters that participate in melee would feel some obligation to carry two swap weapons.
I don't see any problem with this - it makes inventory management a more interesting problem, and makes a large variety of weapons remain interesting longer.

Quote:
Also, presumably monsters that are stab-resistant would be protected against arrows and bolts (thematically, doing otherwise doesn't make sense), which is a major problem for rangers.
Solution: Buff slings, make slings a viable swap ranged weapon that does blunt
(And then add the ranged weapon that fires bullets that unfold into knives mid flight, for a slashing ranged weapon)
__________________
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014, 01:06   #8
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
I don't see any problem with this - it makes inventory management a more interesting problem, and makes a large variety of weapons remain interesting longer.
All I'm saying is that it's qualitatively different from having different elemental vulnerabilities, so we should go into it with our eyes open. Note I said "less certain", not "don't like".



Quote:
Solution: Buff slings, make slings a viable swap ranged weapon that does blunt
Rangers don't get extra shots with slings, was my ill-explained point.
Quote:
(And then add the ranged weapon that fires bullets that unfold into knives mid flight, for a slashing ranged weapon)
Maybe broadhead arrows? This is pretty silly realism-wise but is no worse than many other gross inaccuracies in Angband's equipment list.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014, 01:48   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
HURT_ELEC could be used for the beholders
HURT_LIGHT for beholders. They are some sort of levitating eyes, right? Bright light should hurt them, maybe cause confusion in progress (actually blind it, but that shows as confusion to outside).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014, 02:13   #10
Therem Harth
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 926
Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Beholders have eyelids IIRC. And teeth. Lots of teeth.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Pits vs. Monster Nests TricksterWolf Vanilla 6 June 20, 2013 20:26
knowing monster weaknesses? Dark Variants 5 October 9, 2009 06:49


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.