Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2014, 13:10   #31
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
Simple monster knowledge, such as Red Dragons are resistant to fire, Black to acid, White to cold, etc, and that they breath that element for great damage should be pre-populated. Uniques are legends of the land, much like artifacts. There should be some knowledge imparted to the adventurer. Gorlim is a dangerous spell caster, Kavlax's heads breath different elements and have killed many adventurers, etc. Clues to let people have some idea of what they're facing, but not enough to allow them to target a weakness (unless it is common knowledge), or to work out exactly if they're safe.
I have sometimes thought of systems like what I saw in one of the pen & paper roleplaying game which gave monsters "scales" like size XXXL for enormous dragon and XXXS for annoying insects.

It could be useful for give some vague description of different physical attributes of monster in their monster memory entry before you actually know what it can do. For example Drolem, if you see it first time and read the description

"A constructed dragon, the drolem has massive strength. Powerful spells weaved during its creation make it a fearsome adversary. Its eyes show little intelligence, but it has been instructed to destroy all it meets."

you are not much smarter about it's capabilities. A balance drake (not dragon, drake) description sounds just as bad:

"A mighty dragon, the balance drake seeks to maintain the Cosmic Balance, and despises your feeble efforts to destroy evil."

even that it is far less dangerous.

Neither of those really tell you anything about the exact nature of the creature. Only clues you get from drolem is that its symbol green, and it is dragon, so you might be able to expect poison breath. How bad that could be isn't even hinted anywhere.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014, 13:17   #32
Mondkalb
Knight
 
Mondkalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 968
Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
What about color coding monsters in the monster list; FAangband uses colors to indicate the danger of the current dungeon level.
Something similar could be applied to monsters; there is already the red coding for OOD and purple for uniques, maybe some colors could be added for indication of how powerful a monster is or if it is of higher level than the player char?
Or perhaps some icons could be added to the monster name to indicate breathers, elemental attacks, spellcasters, and so on.

Last edited by Mondkalb; March 6, 2014 at 13:24.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014, 13:24   #33
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
What about color coding monsters in the monster list; FAangband uses colors to indicate the danger of the current dungeon level.
Something similar could be applied to monsters; there is already the red coding for OOD and purple for uniques, maybe some colors could be added for indication of how powerful a monster is or if it is of higher level than the player char?
Not too much info though. We don't want to remove those precious "it hit for *HOW MANY* points??" -situations.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014, 14:19   #34
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,023
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Not too much info though. We don't want to remove those precious "it hit for *HOW MANY* points??" -situations.
Eh, I disagree with you on this. At least, I think we should get rid of the out of the blue ones, and leave the "you were careless and forgot to wear cold resist around Huan" ones (yeah...i did that...) Even knowing everything you can still get surprised by a big attack.

In other words, the player should know the drolem breathes for roughly 600 damage in some way. Hiding this feels unfair.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014, 14:41   #35
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
In other words, the player should know the drolem breathes for roughly 600 damage in some way. Hiding this feels unfair.
800. Or has this been changed....hm, it is. 2200 listed in monster.txt HP attribute. That's just 733. Boo. AMHD is even less, just 1848?? That's odd.

What about dracolich, does that still do max damage with nether... no, it doesn't.

hmmm.....looks like this is quite old change (done at the time with new HP calc system it seems). Weird.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014, 14:58   #36
dhegler
Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 249
dhegler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Eh, I disagree with you on this. At least, I think we should get rid of the out of the blue ones, and leave the "you were careless and forgot to wear cold resist around Huan" ones (yeah...i did that...) Even knowing everything you can still get surprised by a big attack.

In other words, the player should know the drolem breathes for roughly 600 damage in some way. Hiding this feels unfair.
I am with Fizzix on his suggestions... And maybe I did not realize the first placement of positions was different from:

#######p#
#@
#########

When you can target several squares beyond the "p" and get your arrow/bolt/magic to turn the corner at the right spot to hit a monster that can't hit you back.

Resistances are a serious part of the game and trying to get double resist in some and at least one in others is key to staying alive. However, not knowing that a monster has an unresistable attack (mana bolt, water, etc) does seem unfair. It is basic knowledge to have FA and probably rConfuse by lev 20 or so, along with most/all basic resists. However, nothing prepares you for finding out about non-resistables.

Anyone ever think of making a resist for the "unresistables"? It may make it much more strategic once you have so many resists that you can't choose them all, or it could get more tedious for those who resist-swap (which I typically do not, except for maybe poison early).
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014, 01:06   #37
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,023
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
Anyone ever think of making a resist for the "unresistables"? It may make it much more strategic once you have so many resists that you can't choose them all, or it could get more tedious for those who resist-swap (which I typically do not, except for maybe poison early).
I think every game uses resist swapping to some extent, Carrying swap gear is pretty common across roguelikes, and I generally view it as a positive, especially in games where inventory slots are limited. However, if it's not *easy* to swap, and it needs to be done often, then it can really detract from gameplay. (ring swapping right now is the biggest problem in V because of the extra keystroke) Tome gets around the swapping tedium problem by generally allowing the player to kit gear for areas rather than individual monsters. Sil play seems to involve a lot of swapping, and it can be pretty tedious (although I suck at Sil...).

Right now V has probably the right number of resists based on what can usually show up on gear. You very rarely achieve full resist, but you can typically ignore some slots (confusion by level 20 is super optimistic by the way.) I think we might do better by giving partial resists rather than full resists.

I've always really disliked the permanent and static resist situation. I hope we can change that to something more transparent at some point.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014, 06:00   #38
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
Resistances are a serious part of the game and trying to get double resist in some and at least one in others is key to staying alive.
Resists for high elements are not reliable. It's the side-effect of the thing why you might want it, not damage reduction. They definitely are not the key to stay alive. If you feel that you need all resist you are doing something wrong, or at least you could do something better. We could well remove all damage reductions from high element resists and game would be nearly as easy as it is now.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014, 15:03   #39
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't go that far. Just because you can't count on a resist for anything better than ~15% damage reduction doesn't mean it won't often reduce damage a lot more -- you could get 85% reduction instead, for example. Your argument is kind of like saying that because a spell does 1d100 damage, it's useless because you can't count on it to deal more than 1 damage. Overly reductionist, in other words.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014, 09:54   #40
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Just because you can't count on a resist for anything better than ~15% damage reduction doesn't mean it won't often reduce damage a lot more -- you could get 85% reduction instead, for example.
I didn't say resistances are useless. I said that without them, if you have protection to side-effect, game would be nearly as easy as it is now. There are far more effective ways to prevent damage than resists.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Hobbit movie, part 2 Estie Idle chatter 4 January 27, 2014 10:00
New vision for Angband - Part 1 TJS Vanilla 77 October 25, 2013 08:31
Pyrel dev log, part 2 Derakon Variants 126 September 11, 2012 22:03
Play FAangband part II Fendell Orcbane AAR 6 November 29, 2010 20:53
Quill, Part II Sirridan AAR 9 June 25, 2009 03:51


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.