AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old May 12, 2010, 21:43   #1
Nightmarjoo
Adept

Nightmarjoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nightmarjoo Send a message via MSN to Nightmarjoo
Terrible, terrible luck.

Superb level at 250'. Potion of constitution! Fuck yeah! Stack of scrolls, pretty unremarkable. A black aura blasts your weapon, wait what? Curse weapon scrolls, nooooooooooooo!
No problem, I'll just dive until I get a *remove curse* scroll or I die, shouldn't take long at all. Came out of a staircase into a 4-roomed pit. Hey look, a shiny ring! I'll put it on. Oops! Deathly cold ring of searching (-4). Whatever, who needs searching anyway, I'm a half orc warrior, I don't search for things anyway. Well, time to leave this pit, where's the door again? 's' "You can't make out your surroundings [something like that]" What? My search skill is so low I *can't* search? I didn't know that was possible.

Luckily a lost soul brought me out of my misery not long later. Fuck identify by use, again -_-

My second winner! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9369 Cailet, the Hobbit Mage!

Damned be those who use High Elves, for they are the race of the weak!
Nightmarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 21:55   #2
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Ehhh.... that sucks that you read a ?CurseWeapon, but really I think if you're putting on unID'd rings then you're just asking for it. The first rings you find tend to be either cursed or only marginally good, so the calculus of risk weighs in favor of not putting them on.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 21:58   #3
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Just play a priest then you can uncurse them easily and squelch them
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 22:01   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Can't uncurse Morgul weapons as a priest, though. Anyone who puts a Morgul weapon on in Vanilla is screwed, unless they've been lucky enough to find a *Remove Curse* scroll earlier. I know I lost a young character to trying on a weapon at around 800' and having it turn out to be Morgul...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 23:25   #5
Nightmarjoo
Adept

Nightmarjoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nightmarjoo Send a message via MSN to Nightmarjoo
I can't play priests. For some reason, I can only play warriors and mages, with some marginal decency with a rogue (the warrior-mage, go figure!).

My second winner! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9369 Cailet, the Hobbit Mage!

Damned be those who use High Elves, for they are the race of the weak!
Nightmarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 23:28   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Try a paladin. They're miles better at melee than priests are (and with no silly blunt weapons restriction), so you can play them as warriors with basic utility spells until you get to stat gain and start getting a decent WIS score.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 23:51   #7
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Personally I think Morgul should have a light curse, but then again, most characters who are hit with it are either really early on in their career or are deep enough to find *?rc*.

Although I do think ?curse_weapon should just ruin the weapon, not the character. (IE, make the weapon practically useless without giving it a heavy curse)
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 00:00   #8
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
Personally I think Morgul should have a light curse, but then again, most characters who are hit with it are either really early on in their career or are deep enough to find *?rc*.

Although I do think ?curse_weapon should just ruin the weapon, not the character. (IE, make the weapon practically useless without giving it a heavy curse)
I agree with the general statement.

Anyway, in 3.1.2 I think you can remove heavy curses with enough enchantment scrolls.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 00:57   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
I think the opposite is better. Put a heavy curse on, but do not ruin the weapon. As it is, proper technique is to wield a crappy weapon and armor before testing a scroll and then unwield them. That really gets tedious.

I find it too tedious to test scrolls once you care about your weapon enough for it to be too painful to see it cursed. I'd rather test-use them, but it simply isn't feasible IMO.

Last edited by PowerDiver; May 13, 2010 at 04:50.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 05:36   #10
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I think the opposite is better. Put a heavy curse on, but do not ruin the weapon. As it is, proper technique is to wield a crappy weapon and armor before testing a scroll and then unwield them. That really gets tedious.

I find it too tedious to test scrolls once you care about your weapon enough for it to be too painful to see it cursed. I'd rather test-use them, but it simply isn't feasible IMO.
I like that idea better actually. By the time I find ?curse_weapon I have a weapon I wouldn't mind wielding for a while, and it would last at least until I find *remove curse*.

In any case, after dlvl 40 I id all scrolls I find anyway, just because I don't want to blow something up and I don't want to waste useful things.

And all this makes me think, do things like ?curse_weapon discourage ID by use?
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote