Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 9, 2017, 00:20   #521
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Pete is right. This item is unbalancing. Finding it has made me not want to play the character anymore...

The simplest short term solution would be to put a power cap on specific slots. Lights should have a low cap, and amulets, gloves and cloaks should have a medium cap.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017, 00:50   #522
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Did you consider game balance when you made that change? The Palantir was removed because it was unbalancing. That phial is even more so. I have said it before: when randarts are completely random, on average it makes the best weapons and armors slightly worse (with shields more or less a wash.) But for everything else, the best items are on average significantly better--as is the average for that slot.
The idea was to make a minimal change first, to make sure the mechanics were right, and then test how well that worked. I agree that the current situation is unbalanced.

The traditional philosophy has been to base the randart set on the standard artifacts. My favoured solution, then, would be to try to mimic the power distribution for each slot. This will probably require a more holistic approach to the randart set generation rather than the current approach of running through and randomising the standarts one by one in index order; I think the result should be worth it, though.
Old April 9, 2017, 01:28   #523
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yes! The value has to be a bit higher than the actual max value in the standard artifacts, because the artifacts won't be so carefully matched as they are in V. But gloves based on Deathwreaker are just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Pete is right. This item is unbalancing. Finding it has made me not want to play the character anymore...

The simplest short term solution would be to put a power cap on specific slots. Lights should have a low cap, and amulets, gloves and cloaks should have a medium cap.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017, 04:26   #524
Pete Mack
Prophet

Ever since Enchant scrolls stopped showing up in the Alchemy shop, Calris has been essentially broken for mages and warriors. It's almost impossible to get the thing even up to (+0,20). I kept it all game, since it was my best +CON weapon. I religiously picked up *Enchant Weapon* scrolls. I Managed to get it only to (-5,+20) which is still pretty crippling for a mage. Make it (-8,+20) or at least make Enchant scrolls always work when the value is below zero, even for artifacts.

+CON weapons are so desirable for Mage, it's a shame that one of the two common good ones (Thunderfist being the other) isn't useful for the class. (Eonwe and especially Deathwreaker are rare.)

Edit: another possibility is to make Enchant Weapon work for mage the way it does for priests--almost useless, except for Calris and Glaive of Pain. But that's really special pleading.
Old April 9, 2017, 05:07   #525
Pete Mack
Prophet

HTML sreen dump causes clean (exit code 0) exit, but with no save file made. Lost the victory over Morgoth
Old April 9, 2017, 05:14   #526
Pete Mack
Prophet

Saruman is not Maiar. Nor is Sauron or Morgoth.

Last edited by Pete Mack; April 9, 2017 at 05:37.
Old April 9, 2017, 10:16   #527
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
I don't know the above is a bug, especially not with regards to Morgoth. Morgoth is base Morgoth.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017, 14:52   #528
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Saruman is not Maiar. Nor is Sauron or Morgoth.
If, I recall correctly, Saruman was a fallen Maiar (originally his name was Curumo and was associated with the Valar Aule before coming to Middle-Earth), once one of the group of Istari that included Gandalf, Radagast, and the two Blue Wizards whose names were forgotten, all of which arrived in Middle-Earth during the Third Age. [In the game, Angband, he is represented by a "p", not an "A"; "A" was originally an angel in Angband.]

Sauron also was one of the Maiar (named Mairon and associated with Aule). He spied on the Valar for Melkor (Morgoth) during the First Age before joining his master in Middle-Earth.

Morgoth is a fallen Valar, one of the gods, not a Maiar, one of the lesser spirits. (Technically, still an ainur, as all the Valar are, but usually ainur refers to the lesser spirits, not the Lords).
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; April 9, 2017 at 15:02.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017, 15:11   #529
Pete Mack
Prophet

Yes, that's right. I looked it up. "Giant Humanoid" is fine for Morgoth.

In any case, Saruman in particular should be the same symbol as Radagast (though I still think Radagast doesn't belong in the game.)
Old April 9, 2017, 17:50   #530
Pete Mack
Prophet

@Nick--
I had another idea, if you don't like hard limits on slot power. Rather than using power, limit insta-arts to the power of objects at near by levels, rather than to the power of the object itself. So the Phial might get a *thanc or a Paur*, while the arkenstone would get something near dl 50. For gloves, cloaks and the like, use objects in the native depth range of the slot, so for gloves, between a Paur* and Fingolfin. Again, you'll get the occasional overpowered gloves, but nothing based on Doomcaller or whatever.

Every once in a while, a pair of gloves would get Ringil, but that would be acceptably rare.