Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 24, 2021, 18:05   #11
DavidMedley
Veteran

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It does three things:
  1. It reduces the distance at which monsters can see the player by a factor of 4
  2. It reduces the distance at which monsters can hear the player by a factor of 4
  3. It makes the player leave no scent trail
Does this mean that if you ping a monster from outside it's reduced seeing and hearing range it'll just stand there and take it?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2021, 20:09   #12
Selkie
Swordsman

Selkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Does this mean that if you ping a monster from outside it's reduced seeing and hearing range it'll just stand there and take it?
Not in my practical experience, but I can't answer for the code. As a purely defensive spell it seemed to only work reliably for me when I could outpace the monster and get at least 15 squares distance. It might work with a wand, where you have a much greater range. Launchers typically don't have enough distance.
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2021, 21:37   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Nope, as soon as you attack a monster your track-covering evaporates.
Old February 24, 2021, 21:45   #14
Selkie
Swordsman

Selkie is on a distinguished road
The one thing I was wondering, does it work as a stealth boost for sleeping monsters? It's an impossible test to accurately carry out in game play.
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2021, 22:38   #15
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
The one thing I was wondering, does it work as a stealth boost for sleeping monsters? It's an impossible test to accurately carry out in game play.
Effectively yes, because it reduces the amount of noise as you get further from the player faster, and the speed the monster wakes up depends on that.
Old May 31, 2021, 03:15   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

How about if Herbal Curing gave temporary RPois and PStun, and maybe even temporary immunity from cuts?
Old May 31, 2021, 13:16   #17
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
A typical ranger has rpoison long before he can cast herbal curing. Pstun is useful, but mostly for melee. Immunity from cuts would be less than shard resistance, yes ? Shard resistance is about the last one on the list to worry about.

The question is: is the intention for the ranger to rely on ranged attacks ? (the name sounding like it is, as we all know, coincidence).

If the answer is yes, then the current version does a bad job at that, at the very least when playing with randarts.
Launchers are rarer than melee weapons and needing specifically a bow to get the ranger advantage means youll end up as a melee fighter for most of the game. Given that the spell set, in particular decoy, is very conducive to melee fighting means its more often better to use the ranged slot as a stat boost, like a fighter.

Maybe that is the intention; but if not, then my first suggestion would be to apply the ranger extra shots to all types of launchers, not just bows. That way you have a better shot (pun!) at ending up shooting things.

As for the spell set: it would help if there was anything that only worked in conjunction with archery.

If the intention is adherence to pseudo-history, then of course Aragorn wasnt the archer - Legolas was. In that case remove the extra shots from ranger entirely and introduce the archer class - maybe as simple as a warrior with fewer hit points, less melee blows but more shots per round.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2021, 15:03   #18
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Ranger is the embodiment of Aragorn which I find belong to the game. He is a hybrid for sure. xbow sems way off. adding sling however feels somewhat reasonable. A pure archer is fun (try frogcomposband!) and the slingmaster even more so. But do we need them in Vanilla? I would play them if they were there, but I feel no great need. I am ok with the ranger as it is now.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2021, 15:09   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I sorta feel that the light crossbow is a very blackguardly weapon. The heavy xbow is more for pure war, when you're up against plate armor. But for brigandry and thuggery, and just plain murder, the light crossbow is a fine weapon.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2021, 04:01   #20
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
@Thraalbee, @Pete:

I am not disagreeing with the sentiment. But why does it have to be exclusive for ranged weapons ?

One ranger wields a bow, another can wield a crossbow. You dont make the same exclusion for melee weapons:

The dunadan ranger should wield a longsword, doesnt mean my dwarf ranger cant wield an awl pike. Or a kobold rogue a MoD.

Given that launchers are already harder to come by than melee, it isnt good game ergonomics to place additional barriers. Especially given that the only (minor) melee barrier - blunt weapons only for priest - has been removed.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote