Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 26, 2014, 01:21   #161
Avenger
Apprentice

Avenger is on a distinguished road
So, quick question. I've been playing quite a lot of PosChengband, and of course failing miserably.

I had been trying a few Monks, and I kind of liked the martial arts style of fighting.

Noticing that the description for the Berserker class states that they can fight without weapons, I decided to give it a try, and found that I did "not have a melee attack".

Sorry, what? I don't have any melee attack at all? I don't mind that I don't get the martial arts table, but moving in the direction of a monster without a weapon equipped does literally nothing? When did that change happen? Seems to me it's always been possible to fight bare-handed, albeit poorly, giving minimal reason to do so, but why take it out completely?

Additionally, the class I am playing is specifically supposed to be allowed to fight without weapons, so even if unarmed melee is disabled for some inconceivable reason on every other class, why is it also gone for Berserkers?
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2014, 18:31   #162
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Just a few things iv'e noticed, i don't know if it is intentional but my Magic Eater absorbed 2 rods of lightning and can now cast lightning bolt every turn. Seems a little too powerful.

Also i noticed in a post from "Atlas, Snotling Monk by chris" (May he Rest in Peace)
that a challenge has been put forth.

The Challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to win the game with a Snotling. Any class or personality is permitted!

So i started a Snotling named Twitch, has the race been changed since Chengband? i know the spoilers don't really apply to Poschengband but no more recoil when shooting or fear when hit for them?

I played a Sniper and a Duelist to 18 and only felt uneasy once and that was when i was fighting a Paladin pit.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2014, 02:14   #163
ThunderToads
Scout

ThunderToads is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
Noticing that the description for the Berserker class states that they can fight without weapons, I decided to give it a try, and found that I did "not have a melee attack".

Additionally, the class I am playing is specifically supposed to be allowed to fight without weapons, so even if unarmed melee is disabled for some inconceivable reason on every other class, why is it also gone for Berserkers?
PosChengband is still a fork under continual development so the in-game documentation isn't always up to date.

Quote:
Seems to me it's always been possible to fight bare-handed, albeit poorly, giving minimal reason to do so, but why take it out completely?
Probably the same reason as Elfs and Half-Elfs - because it was hardly ever used and so it was taken out.
ThunderToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014, 06:04   #164
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
What is the use of the warrior technique "Sword Dancing"? It attacks in 6 random directions. By the time it's at a low enough fail rate to practically use, one tends to have over 6 blows/round which you can distribute all at one monster or, if the target dies with fewer blows, you can use the extras on another without wasting the attacks/energy. At least, that's how it works in V, and it looks to work the same way here. So the ability seems almost always to be strictly worse than actually attacking.

tl;dr: What makes Sword Dancing not useless?
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014, 15:30   #165
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post
What is the use of the warrior technique "Sword Dancing"? It attacks in 6 random directions. By the time it's at a low enough fail rate to practically use, one tends to have over 6 blows/round which you can distribute all at one monster or, if the target dies with fewer blows, you can use the extras on another without wasting the attacks/energy. At least, that's how it works in V, and it looks to work the same way here. So the ability seems almost always to be strictly worse than actually attacking.

tl;dr: What makes Sword Dancing not useless?
Attacking a monster uses full energy regardless of how many blows are required to kill it. The only exceptions to this are Berserkers and a certain demigod power.

Sword Dancing attacks foes in 6 random direction, and each foe so attacked gets *all* of your attack blows. So if you have 7 attacks (normal for a warrior) then you can land up to 42 blows with this technique. If you are dual wielding (common for a warrior) you can get up to 84 blows. If you are using vampiric weapons, then you can greatly exceed the 50hp recovery limit since the limit gets reset with each new foe. But the randomness of the effect really sucks. It's really supposed to be a baby version of the massacre talent.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014, 20:28   #166
krazyhades
Swordsman

Ahh nice. I thought each attack got only one blow. That's much better. Thanks for the explanation.
Old April 28, 2014, 22:29   #167
krazyhades
Swordsman

How does one know when to use !New Life? I've got a lategame human warrior at the moment. Str and Dex are maxed, so I'm just starting to save extra potions for post-NewLife. I'm really reluctant to actually use it because I think it will remove my fast movement mutation from being a human.
Old April 28, 2014, 22:39   #168
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post
How does one know when to use !New Life? I've got a lategame human warrior at the moment. Str and Dex are maxed, so I'm just starting to save extra potions for post-NewLife. I'm really reluctant to actually use it because I think it will remove my fast movement mutation from being a human.
Chosen power will never be removed under normal circumstances. But with a potion of Self Knowlegde you will learn your basic stats. On average they are 18/100 and can vary from 18/70 to 18/130. So check your primary stats. You also can see your liferate which is on average 100/100. Use potions of New Life if you don't like these stats.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014, 17:12   #169
krazyhades
Swordsman

Thanks Arjen. I didn't know what the averages were, though I'd used !Self Knowledge before.

Doesn't matter now, sadly. My dude is dead. After a brief period of grief, I'll shortly start anew.
Old April 29, 2014, 20:24   #170
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
You can check your basic stats in '~' and then 'a'
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote