Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 10, 2014, 03:01   #41
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I just killed my first possessor and they feel really strong. I don't remember ever stomping shit as hard as I did with some of the most basic monster bodies, and I had absolute trash for equipment.

In retrospect, the most fun part was actually getting kicked out of my body and having to figure out what to do!

This is probably a stupid idea: What if the probability of getting kicked was made higher, but you were given a voluntary controlled phase door when it happened? Would that be fun or annoying?
Old May 10, 2014, 05:41   #42
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
So basically a C.Tele/C.Blink or Dimension Door type of effect? Or a normal Phase but you can choose to decline it?
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2014, 02:12   #43
Fnord
Apprentice

Fnord is on a distinguished road
It's been a long time since I played a *band - Zangband used to be my thing since 2.4-frog-knows (and vanilla even before). Had a couple winners back then, but of course, after 10+ years without *bands, I'm feeling like a newbie. I was delighted to find a direct descendant so actively maintained and apparently really suited to my tastes.

That said, I do have a couple comments, questions, suggestions and more.

* I'm using a single window to play. This means that the "more"ing really becomes annoying. I know of the auto-more option, but that means I might miss vital information. How about optional squelching? As a warrior, I don't mind standing surrounded by a ton of orcs, but clicking away 20 misses each round gets old really fast. How about allowing to compress those into "(+20 misses and spell failures") or such?

* Why are !berserk and !heroism in the default auto-pickup? And isn't there a mana-user option for !mana? And another auto-pickup option: Allow auto-destroy for high-level spellbooks for warriors? It's a pain given the many many schools to know whether it's worth to destroy one (and then to do it)...

* Given my "history", I actually consider going lite-town in the future. I do like that I have more black markets to check - but that also means that each time I recall, I feel obligated to town-travel to all of them. Which is more than slightly annoying. Perhaps, for a fee, the markets can show the inventory of competitors in other towns?

I also posted a dump of my current character - got specific questions there regarding advisable depths etc as well, so if someone knowledgable has comments, those'd be welcome there: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16076
Fnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 03:27   #44
Fnord
Apprentice

Fnord is on a distinguished road
Not sure if my mundane queries killed all activity in this forum, but I'll assume that's just coincidence and go on with more of that!

How about we can see the "power" of *identified* items in inventory and home? That'd make picking out stuff for reforging much easier.

Similarly, if ~9 could display *all* properties, that'd be helpful in organizing gear.

I've seen the lengthy debates about identifying, *identifying* and stone of lore - but it seems really silly to occupy a slot what essentially is a meta-thing. I can always recall and *id* everything* after one level (and I often do - annoying!). I'm a really old-school *band player, but after running around with SoL for a while, I feel almost crippled to have to take totally trivial, yet annoying steps to achieve the same after swapping it out.
Fnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 04:26   #45
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I play with a patch I borrowed from someone who is good at ruining things that makes identify = *identify*. Sorry, chris, I Really Really Hate *Identify*

I play single-window too, and I just leave auto-more on and use ctrl-p if I feel like something weird happened. I'm sure this gets me into trouble sometimes, but hey.

I'm pretty sure !Restore Mana is in the default autopickup list? Note that it's a pretty good idea to edit your autodestroyer prefs and then save-and-quit if you've never done it before (or loaded a different one) for a new character. I find that the defaults don't really trigger until I do that.

Lite-town is great.
Old May 16, 2014, 19:41   #46
krazyhades
Swordsman

Wait, so a patch that upgrades identify, or downgrades *identify*?

How do Anti-Magic and No-Teleport work? Anti-magic clearly doesn't prevent you from being damaged by magic, so I'm not sure. I assume No-Tele prevents other monsters from teleporting you, since I'm pretty sure I've seen other monsters teleport away from me when adjacent to me and my no-tele amulets.

Just drove a bunch of attempted daggermasters into the ground, a few dying on the thieves quest (I hate not being able to kill that quest right away and instead having to scum for levels...so boring to me) and another dying of starvation on the wargs quest because of an elusive last warg and town not stocking recall. Augh! I really should just use small levels for the warg quest to make it trivial. I think that would work.

I really like the variety in this game, but it's so freaking grind-oriented, what with its punishing nature, huge xp penalties for casters and interesting races, fame requirements for reforging, the ever-present problems in all 'bands with ranged/caster characters taking so many more clicks to run, the lack of roguelike keyset monster and item lists, etc. /rant

tl;dr krazyhades died and is grumpy.
Old May 16, 2014, 19:57   #47
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post
The former -- he made ID behave as *ID*.

Quote:
How do Anti-Magic and No-Teleport work? Anti-magic clearly doesn't prevent you from being damaged by magic, so I'm not sure. I assume No-Tele prevents other monsters from teleporting you, since I'm pretty sure I've seen other monsters teleport away from me when adjacent to me and my no-tele amulets.
You're right about no-teleport. Anti-magic, as I understand it, sets your minimum saving throw to 95% and prevents you from casting spells. Great for warriors, lousy for practically everyone else.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 20:01   #48
krazyhades
Swordsman

I can see why you'd want that. Regular identify is rarely all that useful to me in e.g. determining what to leave on the dungeon floor and what to carry home.

Good to know about anti-magic.

Last edited by krazyhades; May 16, 2014 at 20:06.
Old May 16, 2014, 21:23   #49
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post

Just drove a bunch of attempted daggermasters into the ground, a few dying on the thieves quest (I hate not being able to kill that quest right away and instead having to scum for levels...so boring to me) and another dying of starvation on the wargs quest because of an elusive last warg and town not stocking recall. Augh! I really should just use small levels for the warg quest to make it trivial. I think that would work.

I really like the variety in this game, but it's so freaking grind-oriented, what with its punishing nature, huge xp penalties for casters and interesting races, fame requirements for reforging, the ever-present problems in all 'bands with ranged/caster characters taking so many more clicks to run, the lack of roguelike keyset monster and item lists, etc. /rant

tl;dr krazyhades died and is grumpy.
Sorry your guy died.

With melee classes max str, dex, and get a decent con. Then spend your starting gold on a heroism potion, and a couple of cure light wounds, you can buy a scroll of blessing as well, but usually it's not necessary. Then do the thieves quest this should work more times than not.

Casters are a little more difficult to start, but if your looking fast. Just head to Camalot and sit on the stairs till level 3 or so, usually just takes a few minutes. You should be powerful enough for the thieves now. The only classes i find hard to start with are the hybrids, Bard, Beastmaster etc.

As far as grinding, i actually find i do very little in this game at all, the only grindy part in my opinion is stat gain. You really want to max out con as soon as possible, the mobs can hit insanely hard.

Another thing i like to do, is use the library once that quest line is done and you get a discount for town services, and study all the uniques. rods of probing work as well, but unless your really stealthy not always an option.

I think my only real compliant with the game is the ticked off status, monsters get when you use a ranged spell or weapon, seems too punishing for them, considering how powerful melee is.

A monster list would be handy, with the huge amount of uniques in the game.
Item lists would be nice too, but i usually just get everything i see anyways.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 21:41   #50
krazyhades
Swordsman

Meh, guys die all the time. It's arguably the most important quality of a roguelike game. This guy died extremely early because I was playing incautiously, wasn't in the mood to tryhard. As always, there were things I could have done to survive.

I pretty much know the stuff you've said, though I appreciate the sentiment. I have barely played any casters in PosChengband, but mages (followed by rogues) are my preferred Vanilla characters. Despite my low number of ladder uploads, I've been playing *band games since I left Nethack almost 10 years ago.

I dislike spending gold on monster knowledge since it is already a pain to gather enough millions for reforging as-is. I also on principle prefer full knowledge (heresy, I know, but even well respected players here e.g. clouded, Arjen, look at the info files to make informed plays, as discussed in a number of much older dump comments).

One thing I really wish I had access to was good documentation on the fixed rewards and quests in the game, but chris has already stated that creating such documentation is against his philosophy, so I have learned what I can from reading every stored PosChengband ladder entry with more than 10 comments...it helps, but I still have many knowledge gaps.