Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old November 30, 2013, 00:12   #1
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Anyone play Dwarf Fortress?

Anyone here really play Dwarf Fortress?

I think DF will be my next arguably-rogue-like great endeavor. I devoted a more than a few hours to learning the bare basics already. Just wanted someone local, without having to join another forum, to respond to my incessant stupid questions.

Should anyone reply, consider this my stupid question thread, and any respondents my DF Sherpas.
Old November 30, 2013, 01:54   #2
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I've played a little, but unfortunately my crappy laptop can't really run it in all its glory. I do know some of the basics though.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013, 08:47   #3
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
In my experience anyone really playing Dwarf Fortress isn't available on (other) forums.

I played very intensively for a few months then increasingly frustrated by bugs and by continuous map cleaning after sieges and questioning my priorities in life stopped altogether apart from occasional attempts at building logical circuits with goblins or minecarts. Despite the hype Dwarf Fortress is fundamentally an easy game once you have learned the ropes and most of the difficulty results from player action as semi-voluntary challenge mode / role-playing or from ridiculously fast growth in the default setting before you are prepared to absorb the migrants. (Change those settings.) Fiddling around is still fun, but the "one day you will inevitably succumb to attack" with which people advertise for it is definitely not true.

This (http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/...ss-part-1-wtf/) is a pretty good tutorial.

Last edited by taptap; November 30, 2013 at 10:12.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013, 10:09   #4
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
I've played it for some time, too. It's fun, although taptap's comments are correct and it might get boring after a while. It's like a crossover between Angband and The Sims for people with a degree in geology.

The most difficult part of the learning curve in the beginning comes from the fact that the interface is quite complex, but as an Angband player you should at least be prepared for this.

Grab one of these to get started: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124613, keep a browser tab open on http://dwarffortresswiki.org/, and don't be afraid to abuse traps as a defensive strategy in the beginning -- unless it has changed in the last versions, army management is a pain. Good luck!
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013, 15:49   #5
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I am playing on and off in a kind of possession mode.

But I play fortress mode only. I'm assuming you want to play adventure mode because it's kinda rogue-ish?
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013, 17:12   #6
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
But I play fortress mode only. I'm assuming you want to play adventure mode because it's kinda rogue-ish?
No, I'm playing fortress mode, but I'm an absolute newb. Still playing my very 1st game (with 16x16 tiles) thanks to much advice from the wiki and other sources. I'm sure my fortress will perish at the first sign of adversity. Doing the simplest things are still a chore. I did manage to put together a functional brewery. A major accomplishment in my limited estimation. Next on my list... furniture, which I should be able to manage on my own.

Also just started using Dwarf Therapist. It's a joy to use, really, even though I don't use any auto-optimization.
Old November 30, 2013, 17:48   #7
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Just spent an utterly mystifying afternoon giving it a go.
An afternoon I'll never get back!

I can just about glimpse a future of total addiction, though.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013, 18:52   #8
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
I play fortress mode. Using mosly terrifying biomes with zombies and glacier for more fun. Also I play human style, so no dig above certain minimum, e.g. digging only to build a well and then cast out great ice fortress above ground. I also normally use 2x2 absolutely flat maps.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013, 22:55   #9
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
I play fortress mode. Using mosly terrifying biomes with zombies and glacier for more fun. Also I play human style, so no dig above certain minimum, e.g. digging only to build a well and then cast out great ice fortress above ground. I also normally use 2x2 absolutely flat maps.
I am with you with the 2x2 flat maps (desert with aquifer in my case). 16x16 would wreck my computer or at least lead to early fps death.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013, 23:17   #10
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Good luck! If you haven't checked out the Capt'n Duck Youtube tutorials, they might be handy. I remember looking at some of those in the previous release.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote