Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old January 25, 2019, 08:20   #71
AndyS
Apprentice

AndyS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
@AndyS

Most of my ironman wins are kinda wimp versions because I usually play with 'know all flavors from start' as a birth option. It does not make the game that much easier, just reduces the annoyance of having to consume a harmful or preservable items once without any intention.

Diving paying off works exactly the same way as with recall. The danger there is just the shortage of healing items in the endgame fights. Especially when diving very aggressively. I've died twice in the endgame (once to Sauron, once to Morgoth) because of that.

Btw, I did do one win with not knowing flavors. In that game I stupidly ate an unknown mushroom from the floor while clearing a greater vault. Was a mushroom of purging. That caused some trouble because I never carry any food after like D40. Drank lotsa potions for nutrition before finding something edible or sh-scroll

EDIT: Oh and commenting on your ironman attempt single-handedly promoted me from 'Apprentice' to 'Adept' status. So it probably was a good advice. Ha ha!

I think it was good advice regardless of your status

I also think if you won an ironman game, the word wimp definitely does not apply. But what exactly does "know all flavours" mean? I realize I should know this but i don't. Does it mean your items are identified? That would be a tremendous advantage. I was always hauling around stuff "just in case".

I think after Ive identfied free action and poison I will drop unidentified weapons unless I have identify or free slots which are scarce in ironman. When all is said and done you usually go with an artifact weapon anyway , at least as a warrior.

Keep in mind that I'm keenly aware of my lack of expertise and probably talking out of the wrong end
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2019, 08:46   #72
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I..what exactly does "know all flavours" mean? I realize I should know this but i don't. Does it mean your items are identified? That would be a tremendous advantage
You can set "know all flavors" from birth options just like you do disable word-of-recall etc.

Playing item flavors known means that potions, scrolls, wands, all the consumables are pre-identified. Only thing not id'd, are the power values the item holds. If you quaff enlightenment and see a ring of speed somewhere on the floor, you know it's Speed but you don't know how big it's enchantment is until you do step on the ring. So playing with this on, you are not forced to drink that Potion of Intellect once in a game when playing a warrior.

Rune flavors I keep hidden from the start. Those mean the powers the item holds. Resistances, buffs, curses, slaying powers etc. Those need to be identified once with a scroll of identify.

One example: Playing rune knowledge off and flavor knowledge on results you finding Ring of Resist Fire and Cold. You KNOW you have both of those resistances because it does not appear as "Lapis Lazuli Ring" or whatever, but your character sheet doesn't show it until the rune is identified via usage or id-scroll
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2019, 22:55   #73
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Tried to fight too many spiders of gorgoroth at once. BTW, I'm pretty sure the XP they grant is too high (45k vs 9600 for a lesser titan).