Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 25, 2009, 23:21   #1
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Artefact ammo

I have been wondering why there is no artefact ammunition... seems like it would work in the context of the game. I can see an arrow being ridiculously powerful but if you only have one, then the damage would be balanced against having to retrieve it after/during a fight and whether you want to use an inventory space for a single arrow. I guess it would have to be indestructable.

The seeker arrow of Bard (6d4) (+15, +15), *Slays Dragons*, branded with fire

That would be pretty cool to find.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2009, 23:43   #2
JohnCW9
Adept

JohnCW9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
I have been wondering why there is no artefact ammunition... seems like it would work in the context of the game. I can see an arrow being ridiculously powerful but if you only have one, then the damage would be balanced against having to retrieve it after/during a fight and whether you want to use an inventory space for a single arrow. I guess it would have to be indestructable.

The seeker arrow of Bard (6d4) (+15, +15), *Slays Dragons*, branded with fire

That would be pretty cool to find.
Some of the variants have such Ammo such TOME.

John
JohnCW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2009, 23:45   #3
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Would having just 1 artifact arrow be valuable? Seems like you'd need a stack. Even having 10 that never break would be cool.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2009, 02:16   #4
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post
Would having just 1 artifact arrow be valuable? Seems like you'd need a stack. Even having 10 that never break would be cool.
I think a stack of ten would be too powerful. I figure artefact ammo would have to do enough damage to make it worth using an inventory space. If you had an arrow that did 1000+ damage to dragons, would you keep it? Probably mid-game, and especially if you were a warrior.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2009, 04:12   #5
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I would think you wouldn't need to use artifact ammo unless you were fighting a particularly nasty unique, in which case 1 arrow probably wouldn't help much. Maybe like 5?
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2009, 12:53   #6
emulord
Adept

emulord is on a distinguished road
You also need to consider the wasted inventory slot. In variants with artifact ammo, usually I only use it if I find it WAY out of depth or there is a quiver and it gives me stat boosts.
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2009, 17:38   #7
Atarlost
Swordsman

Atarlost is on a distinguished road
From what I remember playing ToME single artifact projectiles are utterly useless unless they do insane damage. The stacks of randart projectiles, though, are extremely valuable. They come in randomly sized stacks, have random slays and brands, and never break. They either save slots by combining two or more types you would be carrying anyways or get you a slay/brand you woudln't otherwise be carrying and in a stack unbreakableness is valuable on its own.

So while Bard's Black Arrow is garbage without a quiver because there's only one the steel bolts of Whatsisface (x20) might be incredibly useful.
Old October 26, 2009, 21:19   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Since the quiver is most definitely on the to-do list, I suspect artifact ammo won't be too far behind. Mere decades, possibly.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2009, 22:40   #9
tummychow
Apprentice

tummychow is on a distinguished road
A quiver for vanilla! Yessss...
But I don't think the artifact arrow would come in handy. It's just too valuable. I'd rather sell it to get tons of enchanted arrows and then throw them down one after the other at an enemy. Now, if this artifact arrow inflicts an imbalanced amount of damage, it might be worth using up my entire inventory slot, but it would then be... imbalanced.
tummychow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2009, 23:15   #10
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummychow View Post
A quiver for vanilla! Yessss...
But I don't think the artifact arrow would come in handy. It's just too valuable. I'd rather sell it to get tons of enchanted arrows and then throw them down one after the other at an enemy. Now, if this artifact arrow inflicts an imbalanced amount of damage, it might be worth using up my entire inventory slot, but it would then be... imbalanced.
I think that's kind of the point of this thread. A single artifact arrow which does so much damage it's worth taking up an entire inventory slot. And it's indestructible too.

Personally I don't think any amount of one-shot damage is worth an entire inv slot - which is why I think it's only worth doing once we have the quiver. An entire quiver slot (=1/10th of an inv slot) is much more feasible.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote