Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 25, 2012, 15:32   #1
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Halls of Mist plans

As you may know, I'm planning to take everything apart yet again. My development version of Halls of Mist will eventually be very different from the current version. New combat system, new magic system, new stats, new everything really!

But I actually really like the current version, too. I've decided to keep developing it under the name Halls of Mist "Classic".

For now, the plan is to make the Classic version as bug-free and balanced as possible. The recent competition gave me lots of valuable feedback.

I should probably shelf the development version for some months and concentrate on fixing the Classic first...
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2012, 15:39   #2
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Can someone recommend a good tool to help me share the bugfixes and such for both versions of the game? I'm on Linux.

I don't know much about good coding practices, since I've learned everything I know about C from reading Angband source code.
Old November 25, 2012, 15:42   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
Can someone recommend a good tool to help me share the bugfixes and such for both versions of the game? I'm on Linux.

I don't know much about good coding practices, since I've learned everything I know about C from reading Angband source code.
Depends what you mean by share bugfixes. I find Trac absolutely brilliant as an issue tracker (i.e. a way to record and maintain the status of each bug and its fix), but not sure if that's what you meant. See trac.rephial.org if so.

For actual sharing of code you can't get any better than github. If Halls is not already there just get an account, upload it and share your bugs with the world. You'll be amazed how quickly the fixes come flooding in!
Old November 25, 2012, 15:52   #4
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

I'm not really sure what I meant, either. Thanks for the good ideas, anyway!

I need to develop a strategy for updating the two versions of the game at the same time. Many of the fixes will be applied to both versions.

It seems a lot of hassle to first fix a bug in one version by changing (say) three files, and then doing the same changes in the other version. There's a big possibility that something goes wrong if I only keep track of the changes manually.

I'm working in Vim, and I know it has a good tool for showing differences between two files. That should help a bit.
Old November 25, 2012, 15:52   #5
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
Interesting plan to split ahead into 2 versions----I shall be watching it unfold closely!

Are you planning on any new technological or UI overhauls for the Next Edition to set it on different footing versus Classic alongside the various new gameplay systems?
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2012, 15:57   #6
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
Are you planning on any new technological or UI overhauls for the Next Edition to set it on different footing versus Classic alongside the various new gameplay systems?
No technological overhauls. It would be reinventing the wheel, since I'm working on an ancient Angband codebase. But maybe some day I will change the codebase to Pyrel!

Some UI overhauls, yes. Less commands, for one thing, and a *much* quicker spellcasting system.
Old November 25, 2012, 16:22   #7
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

One of the reasons for the split is that I'm actually removing *lots* of content in the next version. I'll only keep five classes, for example. As Halls of Mist is the only living variant that keeps the spirit of EyAngband alive, it seems proper to not just destroy everything...

Another reason for the split is that the current version has been in development for a long time, starting from FayAngband. Evolution has slowly removed all my pet peeves in Angband. Keeping the Classic version around allows me to relax and just enjoy the benefits of my work. It also takes away the stress and hurry from developing the next version.

The relationship between FAangband and Beleriand seems quite similar, although thankfully the scale of my games is much smaller.
Old November 25, 2012, 16:25   #8
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just using GIT, having separate branches in the same repository for different versions and cherry-picking commits works more or less.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2012, 16:32   #9
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
Just using GIT, having separate branches in the same repository for different versions and cherry-picking commits works more or less.
Wonderful. I'll do some studying on Git. (I found an article on Using Git with Vim.)

Is Git or Subversion better for my simple needs? I know almost nothing about them. Maybe I should read some comparison articles.
Old November 25, 2012, 16:45   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
For a single developer, Git vs. Subversion is roughly equivalent. But if you ever want to work with multiple people (even if it's just so others can submit patches) then you want to be using Git or another distributed versioning system (like Mercurial, my personal preference).

Also, as a matter of course you should be setting up a repository for every coding project you do. There's practically no cost to you and the advantages are significant. You should never need to rely on the undo history of your text editor in case you need to back out a change, for example.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote