AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 19, 2014, 11:41   #11
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Wow, you're right - that means that they *never* worked. That's a pretty impressive failure.
Yet no-one cared to fix it, which can mean only that no-one thought that to be important. Thus my suggestion to simply remove that flag and rename the ego. Easiest possible solution to fix a thing without actually changing anything in game. Can't interfere with gameplay if that remains unchanged.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2014, 15:00   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I nominate that the new ego name be of the Wombat.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2014, 17:14   #13
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I nominate that the new ego name be of the Wombat.
Thanks for the link. First episode: "small stone named edward" LOL
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016, 14:57   #14
Fiquin
Rookie

Fiquin is on a distinguished road
More on Earthquakes, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
In fact that's the only item besides Grond that does have that.

Why have a flag if they can't trigger that thing? Also IMO Grond should be the only weapon capable of doing that. A unique feature a bit like The One activation.

I vote for removal of that flag and renaming that ego.
Greetings Everyone,

"Mallon!" and here I am, this is my first post and I'm currently diving as deep as the 2000's after discovering Angband a few weeks ago. Regarding the game, two words: "Awesome Sauce!"

I was curious about Earthquake too, especially after finding a Staff of Earthquakes. I assume "EQ" damages monsters? I would hope a lot to make demolishing the dungeon worthwhile. Could anyone give me an idea how much damage per quake?

Regarding Grond, its impact with the ground scoops out craters according to Tolkien scholars out there. What about making some sort of crater making, meteoric impact Grond's unique power so caster's and items can retain (perhaps even a beefed up/noticeable) Earthquake?

Fiquin
Fiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016, 19:35   #15
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
I think in all the many games I have played, Earthquakes came in handy only once, when I was attacked by some nasty monster I could neither kill nor escape from. My only hope was to cause earthquakes in the hopes of blocking the monster--which happened after a try or two.

Compared to the number of magic items I destroyed in games by causing earthquakes, before I realized it was a *bad ability for characters*, it was not much compensation.

Now such items are items I automatically and immediately ignore.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016, 19:54   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Using earthquakes to stop a monster from reaching you is the main use I'm aware of for them. I've used them to chop a vault up so that a specific nasty unique couldn't get me but I could still reach the other parts of the vault. With enough persistence you can also just outright delete monsters, like a weaker form of Destruction, but that generally takes a lot of castings to delete a specific monster (the quake needs to generate a wall on the monster's tile, and the monster needs to not be able to dodge into an adjacent tile).

Weapons of Earthquakes are particularly problematic though, in that if you use them in an antisummoning corridor you are very likely to accidentally delete the monster you're fighting. I'm inclined to think that monsters should not be deletable by Earthquakes. It takes a lot of the fun out of using Grond to mop up lategame uniques, for example. Maybe if they just took an extra 100-200 damage instead of being deleted?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016, 00:56   #17
Fiquin
Rookie

Fiquin is on a distinguished road
@ Derakon, all

Ya, however perhaps a bigger point spread on the damage would simulate a more "luck" vs. force of nature effect, like 1-800 damage... the earthquake just dusts you up a bit or swallows you up in gaping chasms of fire...
Fiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016, 06:22   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It *is* possible to get an earthquake with an ordinary ego mattock--a good hit with 8 damroll against non-acid resistant monsters does 8*3*2+5 = 53 damage. (A great hit with 7 damroll also works.) So you should see one about every 5 or 6 melee turns, in the unlikely event you actually find a mattock of earthquakes. (Mattocks are pretty rare to begin with.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016, 07:55   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Just looked again. With both pick and mattock it is possible to get a superb hit* in which case damroll 4 is enough: 4*3*3 + 15 = 51. However, a pick is only 1d3, so it is not quite possible to get a quake with it.
* there is a 1/900 chance of a crit being better than superb with a mattock. A pick, at weight 18, has no chance at all.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016, 06:10   #20
brbrbr
Apprentice

brbrbr is on a distinguished road
Half of the current game I've run with a Shovel of Earthquakes.
Awesome weapon, did more damage than majority of the artefacts up till the mid-game.
I had earthquake effect maybe 2-3 times for that period. Don't mind it. Actually like it.
"Beware of me! See how aweasome I am! I can cause Earthquakes!! Run and hide!! Boooo!!"
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earthquake